Walleye, Pike and Bass

trapshooter

We've had an unseasonably cold spring here in NW Ontario. A lot of gray, wet and windy days out on the lake. Water temps are slowly coming up, and with the rising surface temps come increased fish activity. The walleye are definitely on the move as they filter out of spawning areas. Transition time means some fish can still be caught in the currant/spawning areas but most are migrating along structure towards bigger water in the main lake. Running and gunning pays off to find these transitioning walleye. At this time of year, depending on the day, you can catch walleye pitching in 2' of water or jigging 20' deep.

My wife, Kelly, and I spent the day Saturday chasing walleye and bass on south central Lac Seul.

DSC_6067.JPG

DSC_6031.JPG

Bass fishing really peaks here as water nears 60 deg. on the surface. With temps in the low 50's right now, the bass are staging for the spawn and we're catching fish jigging in 8-15'. In another 2 weeks the bass fishing will be fast and furious.... right now is just the beginning of good bass fishing up here.

DSC_6019.JPG

DSC_6077.JPG

Cleaning fish for shore lunch.

DSC_6052.JPG

Check out some of the Lac Seul forage these walleye's are feeding on.

DSC_6065.JPG

I haven't put in much effort for pike this spring, but here's a decent one from earlier in the year.

P5190052.JPG

Cheers everyone, and good fishing.

Ben

Ben,

Nice report, those bass are making me drool.Stop teasing us southern folk!

Great pike and walleye too.

Do many people target pike up there or are they considered nusance fish ?

They're not targeted much, that's for sure. 90% of the people I've guided over the last 5 years want walleye and walleye only. You still catch a lot jigging walleye though. You do get the odd group that likes to cast for pike in the afternoon. Early spring and Fall are the best times to get a big gator on Lac Seul.