Heavy Equipment Operators ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone,

I currently work as a sales person for a John Deere Dealer. I love my job, it sounds weird but Ive been obsessed with John Deere since I was a little kid hahah

Latley I have been thinking about life and where I want to be in a few years.... My gf and I have been doing alot of future planning. On that note, sales is a tough career because there isnt much security. One year can be great and the next, the bottom will fall out ya know ?

So I've been thinking about what I enjoy doing and operating equipment is something I always loved to do and be around.

Ive been thinking about maybe taking the heavy operators course but for $28000 its a little pricey. Ive heard tonnes of stories of guys taking the course only to come out and work at Mcdonalds or something because they can't find a job. I know if you are laid off from your job, Un-employment will pay for the course, but I can't see myself being laid off any time soon. Usually in my line of business your either hired or fired.

I guess the question is, has anyone here taken the course ?? what was your thoughts on it ?

Also, are any of you heavy equip. operators ? and how do you feel about your career ? Do you think it is something I should look further into ?

Check out Sir Sandford Flemings heavy equipment course. A young labourer at my work took the course recently and loved it. He is now employed as an operator.This line of work can be a great job, but like many other lines of work you have to be prepared to do your time before moving up. Also, layoffs in the winter are inevitable. If you end up taking a course and graduating, you will have a pretty good resume with experience @ John Deere. The course @ Sir Sandford is realatively cheap. I say go for it !! You have nothing to lose.

Have you considered a trade? Even something that "runs like a deere" must need service from time to time.

Hahah Yea, Im good buddies with one of the Techs in our shop and he let me in on what kind of coin he is bringing in.... thats where the thoughts started to come from of persuing another career. He makes VERY good money for his age. $50K and he's 25. But I've never been that type of guy, Im not mechanically smart hahah I know how to drive them, thats forsure ! Ever since I was a little kid thats all I wanted to do !

Its not easy to have EI pay for any course.they are picky and stubborn. There is a school by ottawa that is very good but costly and not many options for assistance. That being said, u have to be good at it to have a job my company goes through many "operators" a year. Work is not easy to get either most require being in the union which isn't easy to get in and then u have to wait behind the rest of them for jobs. Good luck to u though, heavy equipment is fun! Lol brings ya back to ur days playin with tonka trucks in the sand box lol

Ive done 2 things in life Road construction and Building Construction,I bounce from one to another as required or as things get stale ,road building I started out as a grade man doing layout and checking grade for the equipment as a yr or so passed ,ya get thrown on a packer ,maybe a shouldering machine ,then skidsteer ,dozer ,grader ,excavator ,if they see ya have the knack for something, its that easy ya stay on it ,if I where you first thing Id do is join the Operaters Union if your serious pay your dues

Did you say 28000 for the course? That fee is way out of wack. Are you sure?

Yea... Im from chatham and the Ontario Truck Driving school has it. 7 pieces of equipment and your AZ costs $27995

I also looked and there is a course for 6 pieces and your DZ for &17000 I belive

Just google "Ontario Truck Driving School" and check it out.

I have worked with heavy equipment all my life and all I can say is WOW, what the heck and are they NUTS.......

Maybe things are different in Canada compared to the USA but that price ($28,000) seems REAL steep to me.

First advice I would give you is...... is this a career that you can do at the age of 50 ! ! ! because if not then move on to something else.....I speak from experience......

I hired out on the railroad at 19 years old as a "carmen". That means you inspected, repaired and or did derailments in one way or another........However, all our training came on the work site....... before I took a early retirement (had to) I was qualified to drive a tractor trailer, (semi) operate a 90 ton over the road crane, drive the same crane to the derailment, operate a 250 ton (on the rail) crane (one of the biggest mobile cranes ever) and operate a Locomotive when need be and then finally become Safety Director to our Division........... bottom line here is, can't your NOW employer train you while now on the job.....

Bob

I say JOHN DEERE ROCKS !! at least , it DID :rolleyes:

I never even drove a big Deere, let alone take a class. I just decided I wanted to work in the woods..& dove in head first.

I started in the logging bus. when I was 23. I started skidding with a 'Hoopie'...a cut down Army surplus truck with a winch & arch. I suffered thru that for a year & a half. Scrounged up enough $$ to but a used 1969 John Deere 540A series beat to hell unit that should have been put to sleep. But,, again, I suffered thur cold winters & hot buggy summers for amost 4 more years, till I got to where I could buy...a Brand new out of the box 540D model. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!$76,000 was a LOT of money in 1986, with $2000/month payments, I just busted ass & that particular machine was a Saint !!!!!!! I ran it 6 years before it had to go in the shop the first time. But, I did a TON of maintainence ( Sundays) , to keep her fresh.

The logging business took a dump 15 years ago & I sold out, to my truck driver. To this day, that ol' skidder is still working.

Make a decision..then GO for it...

fear of failure=wasting time.

I've been operating various machines for over 20yrs (Man where did the time go!) and was self taught with some guidance and by watching a skilled guy on a machine and how they tackle a job. I haven't seen one person come out of those schools that has even the slightest clue of how to work the machine to make money or even how to tackle a job in the first place. All they seem to be taught is how to drive the machine, I could teach my mom how to drive my CAT excavator and I would only charge half as much :D . It takes seat time and on the job experience to be an operator and luck of the draw to find a owner to take the time and lost production to teach you how to operate. You can tell in 5 minutes whether someone has a clue or has potential to become something better.

The problem I have is these places they blow smoke up their butts telling them they are ready to go out in the world and get a job running an excavator and make top dollar.Not in the real world, even more so this year, I have friends that are still off from their winter lay-off and they have experience. My boss will hire them but they start at the bottom as someone has already stated. Run the roller, bobcat and when a job doesn't need either speed or accuracy they can jump in a blade or even the Ex and get a better feel for it. The ones that want to learn stick around and the one's that think they are gods gift are still out there looking for a good steady job. Companies can't afford to have $300,000 machine taking 10 minutes to load a truck while 15 other trucks at $80 dollars an hour are waiting to be loaded.

The money they charge is criminal for what they get in return. The false hope they are given that you are going to have no trouble finding a job and a great paying one at that is just not realistic but I guess as long as the school gets their money that's all that counts. These days there are a lot of good operators out there waiting to get a call back, still. So with little or no experience, the job search will be that much tougher.

Edited by Lowe Rider