First slime

Dara

Well, the weather sucked all weekend, but I managed a couple hours of fishing around noon Saturday.

I'm new to the river fishing here. I have done piles of backwoods fishing and always ignored the StMarys river except for the salmon that is.

I decided that this year I had to see what all the buzz was about out there.

The guy where I bought the boat said that the walleye were starting to hit in Echo bay. Just toss out a worm with maybe a one bladed spinner and drift around.

Ok..I'll give it a shot.

EchoBay2.jpg

Pretty poor weather, but the rain and mist made the hills look pretty.

I remember it being shallow in there, but only 3'. Suprised me.

EchoBay1.jpg

I only fished for an hour and a half. It just got too wet. Had a good time though.

Oh yeah...the fish. One walleye and one nice perch.

EchoBay3.jpg

I never measured it but it was an easy 20"

The new rod is a 6' 6 medium fast G loomis with a Diawa reel...I don't remember the model but its a pretty blue.. Good way to break it in.

Went again tonight with my son and he lost one about the same size boatside.

I want the river fishing because you can go for a couple hours in the evening after work.

Once I learn the places and tricks...look out walleye

The weather this spring just sucks! Wind, cold, rain and to much east wind!

Now that I've got that off my chest, nice walleye, nice boat and your blue Loomis is a GL2.

thats the one...and the reel is a Tierra in a matching blue. really smooth outfit

nice wally. were you in that shallow bay left of the highway going towards echo bay? i've heard ppl getting some good sized pike at the bridge there

thats the place dangler. We fished it as kids years ago, but I'm just finding out that it holds eyes in the spring

Great way to brake a new rod on a 20"er :thumbsup_anim:

Good job and thanks for sharing

Leechman

I was happy with that. I had a new rod and reel a few years back that on the Very First cast got me a 5 lb eye.

And you only get one first cast. It was pretty neat

I think all of us should toss our expensive gear and buy the Dora The Explorer kiddie fishing rods. My daughter slimed the boat with a 3lb pike on GBay, nice little christening for it. As for my wife and I with $500 of gear, we got skunked, my little one caught a little perch with her Sponge Bob kiddie rod. I tell ya, if it keeps up like this, it's going to be a long dry summer for me.............