tongue weight question

bow slayer

I have a 16ft starcraft starfire with a 40 4-stroke . What would the tongue weight be on this? I am looking at using hitch mounted bike rack to carry 3 bikes but you can also still tow 2000lbs with 200lb tongue weight with this bike rack. Would i be okay?

If I were you I'd take the boat and trailer to a Weigh scale and get the accurate tongue weight.

Carry the bikes on a roof rack or in the boat, it wont take much to get 200lb on your hitch

You want 10-12% of the total boat/motor/trailer package weight as tongue weight. You must weigh the boat/motor/trailer package by itself onn the scale, not hitched to the vehicle. Then adjust the winch tower either forward or back or if you're so lucky, some trailer axles can be moved to achieve the correct amount.

Boat 750 + motor 240 + X for the total empty trailer weight. Then add batteries, gas, anchor, yada, yada, and it adds up pretty quick. I'm going to guestimate and say the trailer empty weighs in at about 450# or so, so the tongue weight you have is pretty close to optimum. When you go for a drive, check in the mirror and see that the boat is not gently weaving or fishtailing, then all is well. Just out of curiosity, what is your tow vehicle?

Don't forget the more weight you add behind the wheels on the boat.. will also remove a little weight off the tongue, kinda like a counter balance.

You don't want to have too much on the front eaither, specially with a front wheel drive vehicle. Excess weight on the tongue will raise the front of your tow vehicle, and affect the steering, braking and traction.

Edited by Miller Photo

You should be ok. Does your van have the tow package?? If so, think about upgrading your hitch to a Class III. U-haul wants about $325 installed for one with wiring. It has the same weight capacity as the Class II but is much more strongly built.

You want 10-12% of the total boat/motor/trailer package weight as tongue weight. You must weigh the boat/motor/trailer package by itself onn the scale, not hitched to the vehicle. Then adjust the winch tower either forward or back or if you're so lucky, some trailer axles can be moved to achieve the correct amount.

I'm going to check this out as well good point, I tow my boat with a car and the tongue is fairly heavy (I can still pick it up so it's most likely under 200lbs B) , but moving it back bit should balance it out some more.

If you do this remember make sure the back lights are still visible for everyone behind you or maybe put them up or out to the sides more!