ZEC - pre-opener May 11

camillj

Well it finally came the first weekend of the year at the ZEC for me is always awaited with little sleep and much preparation... a drive that begins at midnight and sees us on the water by 10 or 11 am is always rewarded and this year was no exception ... the water temp was only 39 degrees f on the surface so the fishing was slow and the weather gave us all the wind and snow and rain and just a little sunshine so we knew who was in charge in the beautiful mountain surroundings ... here is a little photo essay (without much of the bad weather)

Also a little sad news, our oldest member, Meredith Hayes passed away this weekend at the age of 96 .. the first picture shows him with a speck he caught over 50 years ago.. he will be remembered by all current and past members of our club.

May%2011%202009%20032%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20023%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20030%20(Medium).jpg

Here are some pictures from this weekend ...Enjoy ...

May%2011%202009%20035%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20048%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20037%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20041%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20034%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20036%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20037%20(Medium).jpg

Then .. a scary thing happened .. in a lake that is supposed to ONLY have specks .. and has for over 100 years .. we catch this one .. which looks like a laker (or perhaps a splake) to me ... we think this may have escaped from a recently stocked lake that is higher in the chain and are concerned about the possibility of it or its friends ruining our beautiful fishery ...

You will notice .. no red spots, no blue halos, forked tail, brownish overall colouring ...any opinions ???

Heres a few pic of it :

May%2011%202009%20009%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20010%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20011%20(Medium).jpg

May%2011%202009%20012%20(Medium).jpg

Edited by camillj

Looks like the old boy lived a pretty full life.

Was the 3rd pic posted from 50 years ago as well? That's like something from those old pioneer days photos LOL!

The fish you posted pic's of looks like a splake to me.

While splake are naturally occuring, most stocked splake are sterile I believe.

I wouldn't worry about it too much...

Nice report and beautiful pics mate.

That is indeed a splake. As solo said they can be nature in occurrence( but rare) they are also sterile as with the stocked ones as well. The later versions of mnr stocked splake are 2x cross and look more like a speck than a laker. 82-89 where 1x and look like these. I would think this is a natural freak and nothing to worry about.

Great report and pics camillj :thumbsup_anim:

Really sorry to hear of the passing of one of the club members :( Condolences to the family and friends :angel:

Such a beautiful place you guys got to fish in.... the scenery looks familiar to me, as I used to hunt in the St-Patrice for deer and the surroundings looks pretty well the same..... also know some good fishing spots.

You guys sure got into some quality specks.... congratulations :clapping:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Funny you should say that Wayne ...on our next trip my partner in crime is meeting me in montreal with his son (I was going to drive his truck in because he has a funeral to attend first... anyhow we have a few spots open ... if you are interested ... I am going back in two weeks and thought of inviting you to fly me in :)

Let me know seriously ... and we'll talk about it ... the lake has been flown to more than once ....

JHC!!! You look twice as old as I am!!! :w00t:

Izzit just me, or does the head on the "plaque Troot" look "bio-degraded"???

Excellent report and pics... you lucky bastidge!!! ;)

Well ... dont forget I drove 10 hrs through the night .. fished all day .. drank with the lads til 3 am .. was on the water by 6am and this was just after breakfast ... so I hadnt had a beer yet :)

but either way I probably am ALMOST as old as you dog ;)

Yes its a real old skin mount ... theres a couple of olden wooden replica mounts ... just not the same

Sorry Jon.. I don't even know what the weekend is going to bring at this point. Won't be making any trips, other than to the lake hopefully, in the next month anyhow.

No problem ... anyhow ... we go up twice in the spring and once in August every year ... love to try the fly vs drive route one day so just let me know and we'll work it out...

Such a beautiful place you guys got to fish in.... the scenery looks familiar to me, as I used to hunt in the St-Patrice for deer and the surroundings looks pretty well the same..... also know some good fishing spots.

Yes ... its closer to St Gabriel de Brandon ... but its all beautiful country up that way ... Quebec certainly has some of the prettiest speck waters have ever seen ...

Well ... dont forget I drove 10 hrs through the night .. fished all day .. drank with the lads til 3 am .. was on the water by 6am and this was just after breakfast ... so I hadnt had a beer yet :)

... a poor excuse is better than no excuse eh!!! ;)

but either way I probably am ALMOST as old as you dog
\

... no way!!!... you look like my Grandpa or Great uncle or something!!!... I'm sure you have underwear that is older than I am!