Fogging an outboard

ld17

Hi guys I know this question should be directed at the end of the season, but it's been on my mind. I have a 2007 yamaha 15hp four stroke. I took it in last year for winterizing. It cost me 150 when all said and done. I'm handy and wand to do it myself. With reguards to fogging. I know your suppose to spray oil in the air intake to the carb. Now on my motor I see the air intake and it has a screen. Do I just shoot the spray through the screen ect. ect. or do I have to remove that screen. If I do, it does not seem like it's going to be easy, and I don't want to screw anything up. Also is there a filter for the air intake. I can't really see past the screen, and doesn't look like there is. Thanks for you help. I'm also thinking of emailing yamaha with the question. I don't want to void any warranties. Thanks again guys.

well I have a 4-stroke evinrude,and what the mech. at the dealer told me and what I have done the last 2 seasons was, mix gas(.5 litre )with equal amounts of fogging oil and gas stabilizer(about 1oz) and run it through the motor. I use a seperate small tank and hose to do this. He says after running it through there is no need to spray oil into the carb.He says this is what they do at the dealer and charge you about 150 bucks to do.

The correct way is through the carb while it's running. But to do this on my '85 Johnson it's a pain so I just run the gas out of the carb on my last time out for the year. Then I remove both spark plugs and fog each cylinder. Now turn the motor over by hand using the flywheel. This is easily done with the plugs removed. Replace the plugs and spark plug wires. Now drain and refill lower unit. If your motor has any grease fittings pump new grease into each fitting until the old grease comes out and you are done.........:)

Guest gbfisher

4 stroke engiines

Spray the fogging oil for a few seconds in each cylinder. With kill swith off.(safety toggle clip unhooked) Turn the engine over for a few seconds(like 2) to coat cylinders. Drain Gas, fill bottom end with new crank oil. Change engine oil if needed. Yer done.

I do tow engines every year. Use Stabile in your gas for the winter as well.

Do not spray in intake with 4 strokes!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Where do you leave it in the winter?

In my driveway.

I run mine right into december, and back in the water at the begining of April, so its not really sitting all that long. Its a 2 stroke mind you........but my mowers and stuff have never been fogged either.

Works for me, and its free :D

Sinker

In the fall after my last trip for the year I add Stabil then top off the tank. Then to the lake where I run both 4 stroke motors long enough to insure Stabil throughout the fuel delivery system. Then home where I remove the cowlings and plugs, squirt the fogging oil into the cylinders, clean and reinstall plugs. Then before hooking up spark plug wires I turn over the engine. After that's all done I hook everything up and change my engine oil and oil filters. After that I move to the lower unit to change the lub oil, and finally I remove the prop and clean and regrease the thrust bearing and shaft. The last think I do is hit every grease fitting with marine grade grease, and check my trailer fittings as well. The whole thing pretty much takes 1/2 day with going to the lake and back home but I kind of enjoy doing the work myself.

ok thanks guys. I've heard a few guys saying to just fog into the spark plug holes. Don't bother to fog into the carb. If this is the case then I should have no problems. Ok see you guys