OOS pics

Jigger

Guest gbfisher

Still, this rule still applies here. Jigger was reminding us, quite nicely, that an out-of-season fish is simply not be posted. Period.

Is it that hard?! C'mon, the fish is out of season. Rules burn, but they're there for a reason, to protect our ressources.

Two different issues in one statement.. :rolleyes: The board rules(suggestions) and the Regs. What rules are you referring to when taking picture of OOS fish?

There are none.

Edited by gbfisher

I don't know where you guys get your information but it is NOT legal to take pictures of OOS fish. The regulations clearly state " Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water" and holding the fish out of water for a picture does not fit into immediately.

Sometimes I wish I was a CO and nail all the ignorant poachers. The MNR set seasons because fish should not be handled at that time of year period.

Sounds like you guys would publicly state that grabbing a squeeze doesn't hurt anybody it's not a rape. And they call us all sportsman.

so now someone who takes pics of an OOS fish would be a poacher? i sure am glad you are not a CO. i highly doubt any CO out there has the same attitude as you...and thats a good thing ;) holding a fish out of the water for a few seconds will not cause it any harm and is no different than while the fish is in season.

Two different issues in one statement.. :rolleyes: The board rules(suggestions) and the Regs. What rules are you referring to when taking picture of OOS fish?

There are none.

Really? I thought it's quite clear. The regs say: " Fish must be released emmediatly".

Board rules state: No OOS fish pics.

Maybe we outta tweak the rule a bit. No OOS fish pics, unless it's a bass. B)

Guest gbfisher
Really? I thought it's quite clear. The regs say: " Fish must be released emmediatly".

Board rules state: No OOS fish pics.

Maybe we outta tweak the rule a bit. No OOS fish pics, unless it's a bass. B)

:rolleyes:

First ones as clear as Mud. Says nothing about pictures...

I can abide by the boards request though.

Edited by gbfisher

The regulations clearly state " Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water" and holding the fish out of water for a picture does not fit into immediately.

holding a fish out of the water for a few seconds will not cause it any harm and is no different than while the fish is in season.

Hey ch312......what's your definition of the word "immediately"????????

Here's what the dictionary reads:

1. without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once: Please telephone him immediately.

2. with no object or space intervening.

3. closely: immediately in the vicinity.

4. without intervening medium or agent; concerning or affecting directly

A few seconds (probably more) to fight the OOS fish, a few seconds (probably more) to unhook the OOS fish, a few seconds (probably more) to pose and have your mug taken with your OOS fish......if you've caught this OOS fish and it's in a spawning stage, and you're in a strong current or strong wind, you're taking this fish further away from it's spawning area....

I just don't get it...unhook it ASAP and let it go!!

The Ontario regs say you must release an OOS fish immediately. If you can justify taking a picture to a CO good on ya, you are still wrong however. If you get a fine, don't look to me for a sympathetic ear because you are breaking the regs, cut and dry.

If you think the regs should be changed, do something constructive to that end. Provide some science, although you may need a bio for that. oh oh. :o

The board would prefer you not post pictures OOS fish. If you post pics of OOS fish here you may expect some congratulations and some rhubarbs. Don't act surprised.

A true sportsman not only follows the regulations but he/she will help set an example and educate others to help preserve and improve our resources for the future.

Many people may come across this site and look to it for examples of acceptable or best practises, best way to hold a musky for example. Vertical, horizontal or in the water? None of the three are set out in the regs, that I am aware of, but we can help explain the merits of the better options and why. I still see people holding walleye and pike by the eyes (not here) before releasing them. :wallbash:

Everyday that I learn more I realize how little I actually know. If you think that there is nothing else left to learn then I would like very much to have a beer with you because I have lots more to learn.

How many folks here have had there picture taken with a slot fish?

How many folks using a conservation license have a picture of themselves with a musky or perhaps a sturgeon?

How many folks here follow (to the letter) all the board rules (even the ones you don't agree with)?

How many folks here are posting while under the influence of illegal drugs?

Or perhaps under the influence of alcohol (besides me)?

Did I leave anyone out? :D

Hey ch312......what's your definition of the word "immediately"????????

Here's what the dictionary reads:

1. without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once: Please telephone him immediately.

2. with no object or space intervening.

3. closely: immediately in the vicinity.

4. without intervening medium or agent; concerning or affecting directly

A few seconds (probably more) to fight the OOS fish, a few seconds (probably more) to unhook the OOS fish, a few seconds (probably more) to pose and have your mug taken with your OOS fish......if you've caught this OOS fish and it's in a spawning stage, and you're in a strong current or strong wind, you're taking this fish further away from it's spawning area....

I just don't get it...unhook it ASAP and let it go!!

if you want to get that literal with the term "release it immediately" you should probably cut your line the second you realize its an OOs fish. :blink:

Unless your OOS catch is a giant then take a quick pic, if not throw it back as nobody likes to brag about OOS fish in the first place, let alone smaller 2 and 3lb OOS fish, let the dam thing go and get back to the fish your targeting lol.

I think there is a rule on here saying that all Out Of Season fish need to be clearly marked with OOS so the viewer knows that the catch is indeed out of season. Respect the fishery and there will be fewer problems. Remember by releasing the fish quickly you are doing the fishery a favour as you are limiting the time it takes for the panfish to creep in and eat all of the eggs and fry.

Just my thought's,

Mike

:)

Unless your OOS catch is a giant then take a quick pic, if not throw it back as nobody likes to brag about OOS fish in the first place, let alone smaller 2 and 3lb OOS fish, let the dam thing go and get back to the fish your targeting lol.

I think there is a rule on here saying that all Out Of Season fish need to be clearly marked with OOS so the viewer knows that the catch is indeed out of season. Respect the fishery and there will be fewer problems. Remember by releasing the fish quickly you are doing the fishery a favour as you are limiting the time it takes for the panfish to creep in and eat all of the eggs and fry.

Just my thought's,

Mike

well said.

just use common sense people.

Guest gbfisher
How many folks here have had there picture taken with a slot fish?

How many folks using a conservation license have a picture of themselves with a musky or perhaps a sturgeon?

How many folks here follow (to the letter) all the board rules (even the ones you don't agree with)?

How many folks here are posting while under the influence of illegal drugs?

Or perhaps under the influence of alcohol (besides me)?

Did I leave anyone out? :D

Nope..just my name... :huh:

Ok Guys, have you got it all out of your systems now?

This topic has come up a hundred times on here. It usually has to do with bass because bass, in the more populated areas of the Province, opens later and tons of folks inadvertently catch them. I think it was a couple of years ago that a dad and young daughter went out fishing and the child caught a really nice bass, yes, it was out of season and as proud as they both were, her dad was lambasted on the board for having posted it.

This thread and other similar threads is the reason that we have the 'kind' suggestion to not post pictures of out of season fish. There's absolutely NOTHING illegal about it. It just rubs some people the wrong way.

Please, give it a rest folks. I understand that some folks are unhappy with it but that's the way it is.

Get out fishing.

ps. I hope that that young daughter is still fishing and wasn't turned off by what was done to her dad here.

I think it was a couple of years ago that a dad and young daughter went out fishing and the child caught a really nice bass, yes, it was out of season and as proud as they both were, her dad was lambasted on the board for having posted it.

That was so wrong! :angry: