BOQ Opening weekend-2009

superdad

The boat was ready, the tackle was all setup and my Dad (Muddler Man), my son (Superdave) and myself were chafing at the bit to get out on Saturday morning.

We left the dock at 0730 and headed to our fishing grounds in Adolphus Reach, set out six lines and started trolling, as we completed out first run , the outside board screamed and Muddler Man was into a fish.

Regardless of the number of lines, he deftly handled the rod and brought a nice 6.5 lber to the net. First fish of 2009 for him - what a pleasure. That was shortly before 0930 and then the drought hit. We trolled back and forth until something turned the fish on for approx 30 minutes,sometime around 1400.

As we were setting out the lines, Muddler Man was holding the rod waiting to put the planer board on and a fish struck the lure. Superdave brought the fish to net - a nice 5 lb eye, not big enough to set a PB.

Trolling a little further, the outside board was pulled back and Superdad was on a fish. We netted the fish with some difficulty as the hook caught the net before the fish was in - Panic Stations...... We flipped the net and made a basket and scooped the fish over the side. A nice 7lber - back in the water.

0502C_Superdad-7lber.jpg

That was the activity on Saturday as we landed back at the dock at 1700, in time to watch the Derby.

0502E_Three%20Gens.jpg

Sunday, we headed back out, still full of enthusiasm as the bite had been off and we had done well the previous day. Back to our fishing area and setting the rods in 85 feet of water, we marked a LOT of fish. As we approached teh Three Amigos Shoal, the outside board went off and Superdave jumped to the rod. Another nice fighting job and the fish was in the net. Oh boy, this one's bigger and the scale proved that this was in fact a New Personal Best for him - 7.5lbs.......

0503A_Dave-PB-%207.5lbs.jpg

That was the total for the day, many trolling passes showed many fish and a TON of baitfish, but the increased boat traffic over them put the fish down.

We fought the wind and waves back to Bayview around 1530 - a good weekend.

Although, we only managed four fish, they were all above 5lbs, can't complain about that.

All the fish were caught on CC Shads using various colours.....

We had a good time and enjoyed the company, the food and the drinks.

All in all a fine time and a fine weekend. We are looking forward to 2010.

Great report Superdad! :thumbsup_anim:

Those BOQ walters are amazing...they are always big....seen lots of amazing icefishing reports from that body of water too....superb fishery.......almost as good as Lac Seul up here :whistling:

Anyway...thanks for the post, really got me chompin at the bit now, but our opener is still 2 weeks away......the ice is still on some of the lakes...but will be gone by then no doubt.

All in all a fine time and a fine weekend. We are looking forward to 2010.

YOU ONLY FISH ONCE A YEAR????????????????? what about the rest of 2009?

Thanks for an excellent report

Limey.

Great report! Nice to see some good sized eyes early in the season. Had a friend who was out on the Larry for opening day and he was saying the same thing about the waves. I think they only caught 2 as the conditions were supposedly brutal.

-Thanks for shar

Polliwog

Didn't hear anything about a white boat in Hay Bay.

Heard about people fishing at night with no lights and the OPP have radar on their boat and pick em off like flies, heard they got four Saturday night.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

Polliwog

Didn't hear anything about a white boat in Hay Bay.

Heard about people fishing at night with no lights and the OPP have radar on their boat and pick em off like flies, heard they got four Saturday night.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

Oh I was in the narrows saturday evening Dave and saw a few guys get nabbed for no lights and just one light.

I think the police were doing an excellent job last thing we need is to plow into a boat that is not lit up killing some innocent people.

Its time people start obeying the law for others safety.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTG Dave good to hear you caught some fish .I caught some nice eyes but my numbers were not there.

I looked for your Crestliner but there were so many boats out there unfortunately I did not spot you.I now have a VHF so we will have to select a station to chat on next time I drive down to the BOQ.

Thanks for the excellent report and pics.

BTW your hat matches your rain suit well

MTP