Artificial Lure Only sections

Fang

I've searched the fishing regs and then searched this site and a few others for any clarification on what constitutes an artficial lure. On the reg site I get the definition

An artificial lure means a spoon, plug, jig, artificial fly or other such device that is designed to catch fish by means of angling.

But then they provide a definition for Bait

There are some areas of the province where the use of any form of organic bait is not allowed. Organic bait includes live or dead animals, plants or parts. See Bait (page 10), or exceptions to the Zone regulations for the Zone where you are fishing.

I check the Exceptions and can find no references to organic baits anywhere. Only mentions Artificial lures. Some kind of endless loop?? Go to page 10, back to Exceptions, back to page 10,......

I'm looking at doing some trout fishing this year in Southern Ontario and sections I'm interested in are posted as artificial lure only. Has anyone run across any problems being on the stream with Gulp or power bait?

There seem to be no clear answer that I can find for this and would prefer not to debate it on the stream with a CO

"Organic bait includes live or dead animals, plants or parts"

I've often wondered about that staement, because that would make most flies "organic". Most flies are made fron fur (animal parts), feathers and strips if skin (rabbit) . By the definition those are organic baits. I don't think you would get charged using these but the regs need a clear explaination as to 'organic' baits. Ithink that they means stuff like , live/preserved worms, larva, minnnows and such. Even a feathered treble on a spinner can be considered 'organic' by the above definition.

I agree the regs are very difficult to understand.

After a stab in the dark in a google search I actually just found a few references

Type in Organic Bait and then the river you're interetsed in. Here's what Credit River Conservation site has.

*Rainbow trout, brook trout and brown trout catch and possession limit of zero and only artificial lures (no organic bait) with one barbless hook can be used when angling the Credit River and tributaries upstream of Old Baseline Road in Caledon.

Found another similar reference on the Grand River. Any section that is artificial lure or fly and catch and release only has a ban on organic baits. - Only seems to make sense to help with C&R