Trout Opener Weekend Up North

troutologist

Trout season actually opened for me Jan. 1, but in the spirit of the weekend I decided to get away from the crowds and hike into a river. The walk was pleasant, on the south facing slopes...only 6-12" of snow and stretches of bare ground. Then we hit a corner and descended into a protected (from any sunlight apparently) valley. It was a good trudge with some drifts still waist deep. I remember clearly someone saying "screw it i'm leaving the snowshoes in the truck". It sounded like me....what a jackass.

Anyways upon arrival and rehydration we found the river mint. Very high but still clear. Conditions were perfect...it was cold, windy and raining but still perfect.

We started fishing a got into a fish or 2. It was a bit of a learning curve as I had never fished the river at this water level and it took a while to find where the fish were holding.

img_06131.jpg

img_06122.jpg

Another one...

img_06181.jpg

Close up

img_06201.jpg

My buddy hit a fish and went over to grab the camera and snap a pic...caught a faint whiff of something. Can't be...we're whooping it up catching fish and whatnot.

Proceed with the photo op. Yup sure enough its a bear, and close. It stuck around in a thicket about 30 ft away for a while. We shouted, threw rocks and it took off. Couple minute later it was back....damn. Didnt want to leave the fish but grabbed our stuff and headed across the river. Tried to fish from the other side but its not the spot to fish the run from....stupid bear. Don't think we were in any danger but at the time it was pouring rain, and we couldnt hear or see very far....fish with you're back at the alders...we lost our nerve.

Im headed back next weekend for revenge. (with an airhorn)

good job! We were going to head into ( i think the same river) but go by boat. We decided due to the thrunderstorm here on Friday night that we would just stay home. Bad decision by me...good one by you!

Nice fish and pics mate, you live in a top area.

Scared of a bear, why? Who was with you bud? Whoever it was it's unlikely they'd have been able to out run you with your giraffe sized legs LOL! (problem solved :) )

Beautiful fish and even nicer surroundings Jay, wish I had time to join you up there.

Ain't this the truth, you don't have to out run the bear.. just your mates :P

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

kick wingers ass for all those glare ridden shots.

nice superior steel though...can't wait to get home and fish the northern tribs.

kick wingers ass for all those glare ridden shots.

nice superior steel though...can't wait to get home and fish the northern tribs.

Ya we had a talk about that. He's still figuring out that camera....back this weekend? I get back from the Peg friday midnight and am looking to meet at the post before 5.

About the bear...I felt like a puss in boots actually after the fact but for whatever reason not being able to get it to take off rubbed me the wrong way at the time. I've been hitting the gym this week and am ready for a bear faceoff.

Mike, the water temp up north is low to mid 30s still got a couple weeks to make the trip yet. :Gonefishing:

What a great time of year!!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Ya we had a talk about that. He's still figuring out that camera....back this weekend? I get back from the Peg friday midnight and am looking to meet at the post before 5.

About the bear...I felt like a puss in boots actually after the fact but for whatever reason not being able to get it to take off rubbed me the wrong way at the time. I've been hitting the gym this week and am ready for a bear faceoff.

Mike, the water temp up north is low to mid 30s still got a couple weeks to make the trip yet. :Gonefishing:

What a great time of year!!

Definitely in for the weekend but I'm hoping my rod comes in. I'm not really too keen on hiking in there with the 15.5 footer. It's a lot of rod and I'm actually finding the action to be a bit soft for my liking.

I'll bring my cam on the weekend and teach winger how not to screw up pictures...Maybe i'll even let him reel in one of my fish.

If that bear returns we'll give him the ol' "WHOA BEAR", send him on his way, catch 30 steelies and be back in town in town for a late afternoon nappy poo and adult beverages.