learning how to properly use a fish finder/sonar/gps

rob v

Did a bit of surfing on the net recently - looking for some practical instruction on the proper use of a lowrance (or any other for that matter) fish finder. I came across this - anybody try watching this video (Finding Fish with Modern Technology - Learn to Properly Read & Tune Your Sonar, )

http://www.havefunfishing.com/bass_fishing_videos.htm

I know there's nothing like on the water experience to learn but i thought this might be easier than reading the book.

Any input/experience ?

Limey did a report at some point this past winter that would probably help you out alot. He video taped his graph, and you can actually see the fish coming up after his jig.

The new graphs are pretty kick ass - you can easily learn how to use it inside of a day once reading the manual that comes with it. When I got my new Humminbird I was more than confident, marking fish and able to read bottom by the end of my first day on the water. Keep in mind that I was out that day to LEARN MY GRAPH. I barely picked up a rod, other than to drop a jig down below my sensor to see what it looked like on the graph.

Cheers,

UF

the video should help...

going into manual settings will definitely give you a better picture of what's underneath...

like everything, it'll take some time to figure out what is what...

surface clutter, water depth upper and lower, scroll speed, cone angle, sensitivity are the ones that i usually fiddle with...

every sonar out of the box should read bottom if the transducer is properly mounted

No time to read whole thread.

Jack Summers owner of Radio World hold product info session on both hummingbirds and lowrance anybody can go.

If you didn't buy there drop in and ask, say the wife bought it for you.

Josh at the tackle store in Cambridge has a rep. for electronics.

Garnet