Crappie Fishing Scugog

GoneFishin

Hi everyone! Next weekend I was thinking of going down to scugog for some crappie, after trout opener of course lol. I've never caught a crappie and this year I plan on fishing for some. So I was wondering if any one knows of any good shore fishing spots for fishing for them? What should I use for bait? I was planning on buying a dozen or so pin head minnows but I would rather learn how to fish them with artifical bait. I've got some micro jigs 1"-2" twister tales, cray fish, tubes, gulp fish fry/minnows, some 3" senkos and some powerbait maggots and grubs. Will a lot of the crappie be in close to shore or will they be suspeneded in deeper water? Any help would be appreciated.

Grab a couple slip floats, and you're set!

Put about a 3-5 ft bobber stop on your line, and drag your soft plastics under the float, and hang on!

The fish should be up in the shallows, around 3-8ft of water.

If you're limited to the shore, then I suggest going around dusk.

You will do fine with plastic. For shallow spring crappie I generally fish about 2 ft off bottom. So if you are in 3 FOW you only need a 1 foot lead under the float.

Try that spot closer to home that you and I talked about on the Creek this spring. You might be surprised...but keep it on the down low ;)

Good luck at getting into them. It's supposed to be a beauty weekend.

Remember that crappie feed looking up. This means short leader from your float. If you have 3 ft under your float you will only catch Sunfish and perch, make sure your presentation is in the top 1/3 of the water column.

Thanks for the tip I'll remember that!!

does any one know a good spot to fish for them on Scugog?

Just confirmed...I'll be there Saturday and maybe even Sunday this weekend!

Be sure to come say hi if you see two young dudes in a blue Ranger!

Ya maybe I'll flag you down from shore and get you to take me for a spin :P:lol: Good luck out there this weekend in your new boat.

Hey Stoty if you want hit up goreski's when you get to port perry go up the hill past the bait shop turn left at the lights and drive down till you reach Stephenson Point Rd turn left and go to Platten Blvd turn right and drive down to you see Goreski's