How big should I make my roe sacks?

dizzidevil

I have used quarter/looney sized bags since December, lol...

Clear, dirty, didn't really matter. The stink trail they put out is great. If you are fishing dropbacks, you want as big of a scent trail as possible.

DD,

In dirty water(12 inches or less), I tie nickel/quarter size bags in bright mesh

In water that has 12 inches to 3 feet of vis, I tie nickel/dime size bags in all colours

In clear water more than 3 feet of vis, I tie dime size or very small bags in light coloured mesh, maybe about 5-7 trout eggs.

Keep in mind, that when fishing for pressured steelies, to not only have roe but to bring flies, jigs, soft plastics etc.

Good luck

J

Back 25 years ago when I trout fish 16hrs x 365 (had to work 8hrs) some days, roe bags to match what I was going to fish today and tomorrow was all I though about.

Now that I'm not that intense I tie 3-5 dsize 3-5 nicsize 3-5 qsize and maybe 2 golf ball with Blackbird floaters just in case I pier fish in the next week or 2.

So I'm sort of ready for just about anything and some were in that mess I call a trout vest is a small kit Spider Thread bag tie maybe 15 squares Blackbird spawn net and a very little bag of spawn floaters (looks just like some that e lee gale product) really just colored Styrofoam from my younger days "maybe I should check"

The point is just be ready for 70-80% and make it work if you need something else worms flyes micro crank.

Or just obsessive! not me

Garnet

logically, the guys posts above are all correct..

but I've had 2-3lb fish taking quarter size bags on gin clear water..

the best was hooking a 12lb steel in chocolate milk with dime size bag (3-4 salmon roe). i think i was just lucky?!haha

just have all varieties ready for the day. different size bags, different colour bags...you just don't know what they will hit that day!