Back To My Pike Trip

MCTFisher9120

I can see some holes in their.

Spinners. DEFINATLY need some bluefox inline spinners. #5's or 6's. 4's can work too if you cant find the bigger ones. I hate to say it, but Wal-mart usually carries #5's. Orange/Gold, Silver, and the Firetiger are the best for pike. Don't worry about the blue/silver one WILL see. (The things are everywhere) Switch out the treble and add a 4 inch twister tail. Orange on the Coloured spinners and white or Pink on teh silver.

Also. White spinner Bait with White blades. I see you have 1 white spinner bait, but i find them to be consistant pike caters. Also stick a twistertail on teh spinner baits as well. Use a contrasting colour.

There was a comment earlier about you not having many baits to target the bottom. Find some Storm Swim Baits. 5 inches long or a bit bigger. The pink or white are both as good as the fire tiger or orange. They work better then they look like they are going too.

If you find the fish REALLY slow on any of your days....usually due to weather try jigging a Twin White twister tail in white. Match the jig head to water depth.

REMEMBER when pike fishing in teh spring water temperature is EVERYTHING. They will be seeking it out. But they are still going to want access to deeper water. Combine those 2 things and you will be in buisness.

-Dave

When pike are in the mood, you don't need much. I like something that can also make noise on the surface and it doesn't have to be a buzzbait. It can be a spoon, spinner, or plastic. With pike one lure for weeds is good. You don't want to be snagged every cast in the slop or close to shore. When you can't catch, it's more a case of you finding them...and just going slower, smaller, and deeper.

So in a nutshell, it's not so much the right lure, but more the right location, the right time, and the right action. Lures do their job....that's why I own so many of them. :D

Edited by scuro2

Find some Storm Swim Baits. 5 inches long or a bit bigger. The pink or white are both as good as the fire tiger or orange. They work better then they look like they are going too.

-Dave

I got a pack of these Storm swimbaits awhile back...there orange and fairly heavy, guess i should pack them also eh :huh:

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Lol, thank you Highdrifter :worthy: If i get the materials i will be sure to try out your sweet looking leader you made up ok. But where am i going to be able to get a foot of some heavy fluoro(maybe Gagnon's...anybody think i can get some there?). I'm surprised that those pike don't cut through that line but if i can i'll be sure to give it a try ok.

Thank you Highdrifter and the rest of the OFC guys and gals that put up with my day to day questions :D

get some bucktails, williams wablers and go BIG - you'd be surprised the results you get with the big boys, big thill slip floats for dead drifting suckers/chubs

and for dragging on bottom get some large jigheads with solid, wide gap hooks and get some saltwater grubs - 6 to 8"....big bass jigs and some plastic lizards for trailers

make sure you have solid wire snippers and replacement trebles too

Lol, thank you Highdrifter :worthy: If i get the materials i will be sure to try out your sweet looking leader you made up ok. But where am i going to be able to get a foot of some heavy fluoro(maybe Gagnon's...anybody think i can get some there?). I'm surprised that those pike don't cut through that line but if i can i'll be sure to give it a try ok.

Thank you Highdrifter and the rest of the OFC guys and gals that put up with my day to day questions :D

Don't mention it! Some folks here are more than happy to oblige.. I was just in a good mood!! LOL

Gagnon's should have the stuff, maybe not Seagar, but something just as good no doubt.

Now git out there and fish boyee!

Check out the Rapala Saltwater Husky Jerk. Silver/Black and Gold/Black.

The solid bait not the jointed ones. For spring Pike retreive these with a stop and go action, Long pulls - point rod at bait and pull to your side, so 6 or 7 feet of line is pulled. Experiment with speed/candence.

I have won a 2007 Pike tournament using these baits, lots of Pike of all sizes, including a 42" and a 46".

Very tough durable lure. Should work well in GB, there are lots of baitfish with a similar profile the Pike there eat.

GL MIKE