Tal-strip 2 paint stripper for aluminum

Lunker777

Hey

I am about to get some tal-strip and I was curious on the best way to remove it once its on !

Would you be able to power wash it off ? or do you have to use a putty knife to scrape it off ?

Also, I was wondering if you cover it with some plastic once its on, if it would help it about to keep the fumes and the heat from the reaction contained ?

Im doing it in my garage which has a door at either end, so there will be plenty of ventalation, haha I dont want to come out stumbling after its all done !

It should lift using nothing but plastic spatulas// putty knifes. Some might take some minor scubbing with scotchbrite. Read the instructions... absolutely do not play in it once laid down. It needs to gel over and let the reaction do it's thing. Wind will kill you too... so inside if you can.. or some kind of wind break.

LOL... why I could never be a teacher and have respect for (some of) them.

If you aren't in a position to be able to hose out your garage... put some plastic down on the floor.. a couple cheap drop sheets. Put the stripper to her... let it do what it says on the can.. sit.. sit some more NO do not touch it yet.. let it sit some more.. is it bubbling/lifting yet? NO don't touch it yet.. lol

Do a small spot to see how it's going to work and to give you an approximate lift time. See how hard or easy it is going to come off. Then you know if you can do the whole thing at once or work a few spots at a time. Scrape the crap onto the plastic drop sheet.. Then you can roll that up and throw away. Take the boat outside and spray the crap out of it with the power washer to get all the stripper off and out of seams.. and to get the last little bits of paint.

Once ya got her sparkly.. you need to pick your paint choice and follow their complete prep/paint system. You can go fancy expensive with Interlux or some other Hull paint etc or some simple Tremclad. Note that Lund uses the exact same paint system that is on my airplane. PPG Concept (2part 1 stage) is what is on anything prior to about 2005. My 2007 is painted with PPG Delfleet or Delta

Edited by irishfield

Yes I know Irishfield covered the paint removal questions... and I thank him for all his help

I guess I should have been more precise with my previous questions.... this is how they should have been asked

1)I knew the method to remove it was with a putty knife... But I wanted to know if you could just blast it off with a power washer?

2) Will covering it with some plastic after applying it help speed the process at all ?

I guess I should have just PM'ed irishfield directly !

Edited by Lunker777

You want to see it lifting... if it actually all bubbles and comes off easy you could blast it off... But I hope you don't have neighbours...

If it doesn't lift totally even.. you will want to putty knife it off and slap the stripper/paint mess back down over spots that are stubborn and leave them again. In many cases this will lift those as well. If you blast it with the washer... you neutralize any stripping action and at $50 a gallon, I wouldn't be doing that.

I dont think you should have PM's Wayne for a couple reasons.

1 Wayne needs a bigger post count :dunno:

2 I bet there are some others here who need the same info but will not ask for help or will need this info some time down the road.

3 no question is worth keeping in and has been said here many times the only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

Keep asking what you need help with as you can see there is always some one to help.

Cheers Mike

Bingo! Now yur a git'n it.

Jim

imagine that another smarta$$ comment that we all could have likely done without! i know i know your in a sour mood i read it earlier on another comment that could have been kept to yourself!

Edited by BassAsin

Hmmmm yes a very good read again, Wayne do you think it will work on my alum scuba tank? from what i hear the stuffs very hard to get off.

Drive over to Lunkers house and find out Ray ! lol

Don't see why it wouldn't. Probably a baked finish so it might need a long "soak time".

Well this Wayne guy knows his stuff, and I know he gets about 2 to 3 questions a week on a lot of the same things regarding aluminum and aluminum boats. Is there a place where a "how to" can be pinned and all of Wayne's excellent tips can be copied and pasted, that way many questions can be answered for him. What do you think Mods?

Rob C

Sounds good to me Rob, although I'm by far no expert. Just practical experience is all ! I don't mind helping out those that appreciate it... but I'm getting real tired of "my friend on OFC told me you" emails and PM's and after giving the advise (or sending them free parts) they're looking for they don't even reply to tell me to go to hell or something... The world seems to be getting so "me" that stuff is assumed and thanks is just too hard to take the time to say. Those are starting to turn my "generosity" stomach.

Edited by irishfield

Im sorry, but the questions I asked in this post... If you take the time to read ALL of the other posts....have never been asked thus far ! :huh:

It may be about the same product, but this is not the same info... well at least I wasn't looking for the same info... Sorry if this is a waste of anyones time... but, no one ASKED you to click the link ... Why reply if your post isnt going to benefit the topic ? :dunno: :dunno:

Good morning guys, Irishfield, thanks again... I think I pretty well have all the info I need now. My uncle actually was asking me these things and I didn't know the answer.

• 11 months later...

Resurrection of a year old post..

It's close to $50 a gallon Dan.

You also usually have to order in the "II". They carry the basic Tal Strip in stock, most places, but the Tal Strip II is compatible with aluminum...while the plain Tal Strip is not.

I am the one guilty of bringing this old post back, I did a google on tal-strip 2 to see where I could buy some in the GTA and noticed the OFC website and thought it was a new post and replied,sorry