Trailor lights not working

ld17

Last summer one of my trailor lights wasn't working so I thought it was burnt out. Bought a new bulb, and it still didn't work. Winter came left the trailor outside, and now this year none of the lights are working? Does anyone know how to check what's wrong. I don't think it's the harness from the truck. Any input would be nice. Thanks

1st thing to do is to make sure that you have a good ground on the trailer side. 90% of light problems that I have worked on was because of a bad ground.

From your trailer connection the white wire make sure it goes to the chassis of the trailer at a spot that you will have scrapped the paint off and it is down to bare metal then try your lights again. If they work just put a glob of vaseline on top of that connection and your ground should good for a while.

I dont know how old your trailer is. For about 50.00 you can change all of the lights and wires. Just make sure to solder all connections and then protect from corrosion.

Edited by wallyboss

hey Dan thanks. The trailor is about 3yrs old. Never had any problems. I'm wondering if leaving the harness outside last winter put some build up of film on the conections and that's what's causing it. I will check your advice out and maybe take some sand paper to the conections.

If it is the original wires I can almost garantee you that it is the ground. Most other connections are inside the lights casing.

Buy a spare harness and use the vehicle side of the harness with vaseline in it and connect it to your harness on the trailer when it is not in use. It'll keep the harness free of corrosion.

Make sure your trailer is hooked up to the vehicle before you try it. Sometimes mine won't ground unless I roll it a few feet in the drive way, all hooked up. There is a break thru the trailer reviever/ball.

Sounds like a ground, but could also be a fuse now that you have nothing working. Check those too. And replace all the bulbs......

Sinker

LD

Swith the bulb inot a similar light to check it is good. From there the ground on that light would be first stop.

what vehicle are you towing with. If you've got other lights working and you've checked your grounds it could be a fuse. I drive a Ford Expedition and my fuse panel has 4 dedicated lines that run to the towing/wiring harness. I'd check here too as I ran into a similar probalem a couple of years ago. Spent 2 days in the driveway with extra bulbs and a 12V tester and finally found a dead fuse inside the truck.

Grab the manula and look for the fuse panel display page.

One other thing to try is that some trailers get their grounds from the back of the light housing itself, no wire to it. My Ranger is set up that way at first my lights were dim and then totally went out, I took the light housings off cleaned of the back of the plate and they were fine. That reminds me I have to do it again :wallbash:

It almost certainly is a grounding issue.

However, do have own or can get access to a voltmeter? Whenever I do electrical troubleshooting I like to know that my source is OK before I go too much further. Check the harness at the truck end first. If you're getting 12 volts there then move on to checking that all your grounds are good, your connections are solid and that you don't have a break in the conductors anywhere.

Good luck. I'm a licenced industrial electrician and I avoid doing automotive/marine work whenever possible. Chassis grounding is a pain in the butt.