Boat Trailer Tire Question

superchaser

Does anyone know what tires I can replace the F78-14's with on my trailer? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put passenger car radials on there or not. Also if I can use radials, I dont know the load range I would need. The trailer is a 1984 Magic single axle and the boat is a 19.5 ft bayliner bowrider with a 125hp engine. Im not sure of the weight. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

Thanks again for the great info. Net weight of boat is 1995lbs. I'm guessing 300lbs for engine. Now, to find some tires...

Cheers

check out that site it may list tires they have on their trailers! I'd shop around ..may find some reconditioned or used .. your welcome I love researching and helping people other than posting nonsense!

I'd shop around ..may find some reconditioned or used ..

When your towing a big heavy boat at hiway speeds your trailer tires are one of the most important things you've got going for you and I don't think buying used or reconditioned is a good idea.

The price of a set of good trailer specific tires is pretty cheap compared to the total cost of whatever rig your towing.

Just my 10¢ though

As Lew said don’t screw around with used tires or put a passenger vehicle tire on this trailer. Make sure you have at least a 25% margin from the maximum weight rating of whatever tire you decide on.

Also check the date code on the tire; as to when it was made. Anything older then 2 years, I wouldn’t accept; even if, it had never seen the road. Rubber never stops curing and they become hard and porous. Once moisture gets to the steel cords; they begin to degrade and what else holds a tire together?

All tires have a ply & date code stamping; the last three or four digits are the date.

129.jpg

The middle two digits are the week, the last two are the year; they were made. The tire above was made on the 8th week of 2006.

If a tire was made before 2000 it’ll only have three digits.

Ie. 235, this tire would have been made on the 23rd week of 1995.

The MTO is seriously thinking (no one will make a stand) of initiating a “best before” date of six years old and then the tire must come off the road. It would also be illegal to sell and install a tire of six year of age; regardless whether it was new “looking” and never used.

Dan.

I always go the most ply the wallet allows.

This is not for weight.But for temperature.

I like to call it super cruise.

The fastest I can go,With the best fuel.

When over rating your tires,You must adjust your pressures.

Or you will get tread roll.

I always go the most ply the wallet allows.

This is not for weight.But for temperature.

I like to call it super cruise.

The fastest I can go,With the best fuel.

When over rating your tires,You must adjust your pressures.

Or you will get tread roll.

What is tread roll?

I went to crappy tire yesterday looking for tires. I told the manager what I was doing and he said it was illegal to put passenger car tires on a trailer. I dont know whether to believe him or not. He also said when importing a trailer from another country (ie. US) trailer only tires must be installed to pass inspection. If I get a chance today I will contact MTO to verify.

Tread Roll occurs when the tire gets to hot.

The rubber becomes softer and then the tread is push over.

You will know when this is happening, When you look at the

tread and their is high spots on one side, Or a high ridge.