Grand River Cats...Where's a good place to fish from shore?

rbaquial

Hey OFC'ers,

My fiancee, her friend and GF plus myself are planning on going to the Grand River and probably do some fishing for CATS. I've been to the area before and I am somewhat familiar with the area....I just had a few questions...

1) Where is a good place to fish from shore? I'm mostly familiar with THIS AREA and I know of fishing spots from shore on both sides of the bridge.... The Parking Lot on the "North" side of the bridge... and on the "South" side... the 'Boat Launch' area (which you have to pay if you want to go further in to fish from shore).

2) I assume 'Fishmasters' carries bait; But I'm specifically looking for bait for CATS... I don't know what baits are good to use? I've never targeted them before - I've heard CUT BAIT or SHINERS are good to use. Does "FISHMASTERS" carry these? or any kind of CATFISH bait?

3) I am planning on using my PIKE/MUSKY rigs... Those should be good enough to use, right?

and finally...

4) Futher up north, near Cambridge is another possibility of where they'd like to fish (moreso due to distance). Is there anything we can catch up there? Are there any Steelheads or Suckers there?

Guys/Girls, I'm really sorry for the questions and that they're "All Over The Place". If anyone could provide information (either my replying to the post, or PM'ing me) I would really appreciate this. I just want to put these "non-regular fisher-people" onto some fish - and prove to them that fishing CAN BE FUN!

Thanks Folks,

Rob

PM ME if you'd like too

Hello Rob,

Fishmasters is just outside of Dunnville, if you are looking for an easy accessible place to fish we have everything you need here! You can even have a bon fire on shore to keep you warm and roast marshmellows over while you fish... If you come out we will definately steer you in the right direction...

Cut Bait, Shinners, Artificial Cat Bait, Booster Tails, Hooks, Leaders, Swivels, Sinkers, information and always a smile...

Hope to see you soon

Jen,

P.S. the gear you have for pike will due for cats!

I had a bit of a problem finding fishmaster until I stopped by a van selling flowers hehe looking up and after my wife seen it from the van WE seen the small sign for fishmasters! so travelling down from the bridge we spotted the road to fishmasters! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...096141001750347

Apparently that was their OLD location?

its easy to get there

take QEW Niagara

exit Centenial Pkwy (hwy 20)

hang a right and go straight (hwy 20 goes left when your on the mountain but keep going straight .. I believe it changes to hwy 56..watch speed limits the OPP were out in full force last Saturday just past Binbrook)

at the end of the road turn Left (River Rd)

the road will merg into Hwy 3 just before town(stay to the right)

go straight thru the light (I beleive the only one in town)

take the first right past the tracks

if you see canadian tire on your left youve gone too far

might see you out there .. hoping to get out for some kitties

take main st east past the arena and KFC. Just before you get to Taylor side road you'll see Fishmasters sign on the right handf side of the road. Turn right, go over the railway tracks and follow right to the store.

Make sure you have a rod/reel that can cast a 1 oz egg sinker a long ways out.

4) Futher up north, near Cambridge is another possibility of where they'd like to fish (moreso due to distance). Is there anything we can catch up there? Are there any Steelheads or Suckers there?

I'd think you'll have a better time fishing cats, not much open this time of year near Cambridge. And your pike setup should work fine.

Edited by timmeh

We went to Fishmaster's place this past weekend and camped overnight. Wind was insane, but the fishing from shore was great. So good we stayed there for two nights! Big fire and big fish and a couple of wobbly pops- what a great time. :P I think that we may go back in a couple of weeks and try our luck again.DSC01971.JPG