Is there a ban on using lead sinkers and jigs etc?

Black_Blade

I recall exchanging much of my existing supply of sinkers a few years back while camping with the family at a provincial park and they had some drive going on.

Has the government banned the use of lead for fishing lures? Just wondering, for was just looking at the molds etc to cast your own jigheads and sinkers, but if you can't use lead...well I guess that idea is out the window!

Note: Found a reference to lead sinkers in the Regs...

Lead Sinkers and Jigs – It is illegal to use or possess lead fishing

sinkers or jigs in Canada’s national parks and wildlife areas. Further

information is available at http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/flf-psp/

Has anyone found any sources for an alternative to lead for making your own jig heads etc?

Edited by Black Blade

"Lead is identified as toxic under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act and fishing gear now accounts for 18 per cent of the lead entering and polluting the environment."

"Anyone who possesses leaded fishing gear can continue to use it. However, it is preferred that leaded gear be taken to local hazardous waste disposal facilities to be disposed of properly."

http://www.ec.gc.ca/EnviroZine/english/iss.../feature3_e.cfm

"The Canadian Wildlife Service estimates that up to 500 tonnes of lead in the form of lead sinkers and jigs is lost in our environment every year," said Minister Anderson. "That's the equivalent weight of dropping some 500 cars into our lakes, rivers and streams each year."

http://www.ec.gc.ca/media_archive/press/2004/040217_n_e.htm

Edited by fishing

As far as the bismuth/tin combo for making jigs etc...where do you get this combo of metals? When was thinking of doing this, originally, was just going to go to a scrap metal place and get tire weights or something from them and melt them down. To specifically get bismuth/tin...do you just for this stuff at the scrap yard?

"Lead is identified as toxic under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act and fishing gear now accounts for 18 per cent of the lead entering and polluting the environment."

"Anyone who possesses leaded fishing gear can continue to use it. However, it is preferred that leaded gear be taken to local hazardous waste disposal facilities to be disposed of properly."

http://www.ec.gc.ca/EnviroZine/english/iss.../feature3_e.cfm

"The Canadian Wildlife Service estimates that up to 500 tonnes of lead in the form of lead sinkers and jigs is lost in our environment every year," said Minister Anderson. "That's the equivalent weight of dropping some 500 cars into our lakes, rivers and streams each year."

http://www.ec.gc.ca/media_archive/press/2004/040217_n_e.htm

I love all this hullabaloo. There is only one problem with the statements made..lead is inert in fresh water...chemistry..know it, embrace it.

I love all this hullabaloo. There is only one problem with the statements made..lead is inert in fresh water...chemistry..know it, embrace it.

Loons eat them as gizzard stones.

A loon's stomach is a bit more acidic than fresh water.

Loons eat them as gizzard stones.

A loon's stomach is a bit more acidic than fresh water.

Yep, it's same reason why mitratory bird hunting allows only steel, tungsten or bismuth shot. Birds and animals pick it up from the lake beds and eat it.

dont recall seeing different types of jigs out there, but sinkers yes, i make my own jigs and still use lead, got a couple battery boxes full of ingots from the mine,

Bismuth/ tin is not easy to find at a scrap yard. Usually found at a specialty metals supplier. More expensive than lead.

I use lead for all my moldings. Last year the price of lead was up to $1 a lb. It has since come down.

Edited by bigugli

This lead thing for lures and sinkers is all Bull, the Cdn Tackle people have proven the science backing the claim that lead kills loons is flawed and inconclusive.

I've been on the water for over 60 years and NEVER seen a dead loon.....

Just my .02 on this issue

David aka Superdad

The loons found and used in this study had jigs..full hook jigs..wedged in their stomachs. They were doomed no matter the material.

Birds pick up pebbles close to shore which is the least likely place to find lead sinkers...but lead shot from hunting was found to be a factor since discharge in areas that the fowl regularly use was obvious. That caused the ban on lead shot and lead poisoning has since not been tied to Canadian waters.

Lead is not good for us or the environment, period.

Are the other options better? I don't know.

Should we always be looking for ways to make things better? I think so.

Are we arrogant to think we know all there is to know? Yes.

Edited by kickingfrog

I've never seen a dead loon on the lake either... but I've seen some DEAD cormorants! ..and lead was the cause of their demise ! B)

I was involved with the Trumpeter swan program. We had the same problem. Sometimes it was acute lead piosoning...sometimes chronic.

I've been on the water for over 60 years and NEVER seen a dead loon.....

In all my years of hunting in northern ON, i have yet to see a dead bear, red fox, wolf, or moose on the forest floor. and yet i know they're there and do die. I adapted this from a show on finding sasquatch. LOL. the statement is true, nonetheless

I was involved with the Trumpeter swan program. We had the same problem. Sometimes it was acute lead piosoning...sometimes chronic.

So was I Rob.. who do you think flew them stewardship gals around till they puked.. counting nesting pairs in the spring and signets later on! I had the original wild release, Pigpen, living on my property with her family..... until some ass ran her down with a boat or PWC at the mouth of Sucker Creek.

swans.jpg

Now does anyone know just how deep a loon or swan can dive down under water?????

Edited by irishfield