smelts

BassAsin

You would not believe some of the contraptions that are set up,by these smelt fanatics. One guy I remember very well,had christmas lights strung up along the rods of his net.In the water.LOL

Another group had a wench set up. Sit and crank the net up.

Me,when we did it,drop the net (didnt need a light cause there were enough to light up a small town),start haull,n up, hand over hand.

I should,no must add.You guys that bring generators out on the docks,and it,s in a populated area,not very cool.It,s late at night and people dont need to hear it.There are bylaws,even tho some may think they are silly,but they are there and I know here in the Barrie area,they will enforce them.

Alot of good areas have been posted with no parking the last couple of years,due to noise and ignorance.

went out last night and hauled in 15 pounds of them 482 to be exact, enough pike bait for all of next year on the ice. already salted bagged and in the freezer, goin tonight to get a snack of them for myself and a few others.

Matt, how do you fish for smelt?... in terms of bait and setup

just use a dip net swipe with the current scraping bottom and lifting up hard, as for the lights a small flashlight to see where your going and to find your spot if they're running they're running no need to shine the light on the water it simply spooks them is all.