Georian Bay (Parry Sound) Fishing

A friend of mine has a cottage near in the Parry Sound area right on the Georgian Bay. Towards the end of May Some friends and I are going to be going up there. He has a boat but no rods so I'm going to be doing the fishing here and he is no help as the guy has never held a rod before in his life. I know at the time we will be up there pike and panfish will be open and they will be the only 2 things i will be fishing for up there. My question is, what are the fishing conditions like up there(weedy, clear, rocky, or everything and anything), would i have a fairly good chance to catch fish no more than a few hundred feet off shore, and what kind of techniques should i try that may of been productive for you in this area?

Any help or info about the Parry Sound area will be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Mike

Mike I have seen some of Parry Sound from shore only in town years ago. A lot like where we went for years about 20 miles up the road Pointe Au Baril. A mix weeds, rocks, you name it. Should be flats,points, dropoffs all over the place.

Never went up until June though, bass opener and after. Anything you would use for bass has a decent chance of catching pike, water is probably going to be on the cool side? Throwing spoons like a dardevle, red eye, johnson silver minnow with a pork frog on it in area were weed growth has started might be a plan, spinnerbaits ect.

I have caught pike on just about everything but probably more on subsurface baits. There was a baitstore right in town years ago that sold big minnows. Don`t know if it is still there, big chub, shiner on a slip float should get some action, jig and minnow cast.

Make sure you have a map of the local area, GBay is not a place to run around without a map. If you are fishing for pike, you might wanna pick up some dead bait before you leave. That would most likely be your best bet for pike in May. It really does depend on the water temp though, if it's warmed up they would have already started to move out on the weed edges.

Guest gbfisher

Get a Map. Find out where you are on that Map. Pick one or two back bays near(within a mile or so) where you are staying. Fish the bays you picked at different times of the day. Once is not enough. Drive slow and be careful. Georgian Bay has every kind of water color along with rock, sand and weeds. Might help cut down your time looking if someone up there knows of a spot or two. Like yer buddies dad or neighbour.

Good luck.

Edited by gbfisher

Pike , walleye, panfish. Weeds should just be emerging in mid May.Shallower ledges and bays should still produce. A lot depends on water temps. Spoons and jerk baits for pike. Harnesses tipped with minnow will produce for all 3 targets. Expect a better bite in the afternoon as the sun warms up the water.

You're going to be in for some real fun.. Fishing on Georgian Bay for Pike around late May/early June can provide some fast and furious Pike action.. Last year in one trip I took in late May I caught about 20 Pike in 2 days fishing in a limited time ONLY from shore.. Try to fish around docks, emerging weeds, rock piles, points and islands.. they will all produce.. As has been stated, try to use jerkbaits, crankbaits, big live minnows, and soft plastics.. all will work for Northern Pike - and work well!

Johnson Silver minnow (weedless 3") with a YELLOW double mister twister - 3 1/2 " .... cast at the shorline from 30 - 50' offshore and hang on tight... oh .. and use a leader

Edited by camillj

I'm getting excited here. The lake's edge off his cottage opens out into a small bay with a 2 rocky points that creat a small opening then it re opens into the big Georgian Bay...from the pictures he has showed me looks like perfect pike territory...thanks for the info guys, more info and tips are welcome as always :D