Nitro Savage boats

fishindude

Hello everyone, new member here

Have been a long time lurker, but finally decided to make an account and join the OFC community :)

Anyways, my cousin and i are looking into a nitro savage 884 bass boat that is for sale, '97 to be exact, the boat comes with a 150hp mercury outboard. This is all we know at this point, we are trying to get in contact with the seller. This will be our first boat purchase, what are things we should be looking for when inspecting this boat?

Is there a way to test the outboard without the boat being in water? Is the boat fibreglass body?

I tried searching for info about the Savage 884 boat but didn't come up with anything as it is an older boat.

Any help/suggestions here would be much appreciated.

Thanks everybody

Cheers

http://www.autamotors.com/Listings/details.asp?id=38337

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/boa/1079338731.html

Hope the pictures help, Nitro bass boats are pretty popular here stateside, it should be a 60MPH boat, don`t know of any one that had any serious issues with theirs. A lot like buying a used car, everyone treats theirs differently.

Don`t know if a 150 will fit in a cut off plastic 55 gallons drum, I test my smaller merc in one, They make muffs and earmuff looking device that clamps over the water intakes on the lower unit and a garden hose is attached, don`t ruun it without water! You will fry the impeller.

Look at overall condition, carpet and seat wear, it will give you an indication of the amount of use. Boat is fiberglass and fairly heavy, make sure you have a proper tow vehicle.

A good fishing platform, they don`t get blown around as boats with higher sides.

Do a compression check on that 150 the general rule is no cylinder more than 10% different or get a mechanic to do it. No on water test......... RUN. Nitro is lower end boat. Check the trailer for cracked welds and repairs that means getting under it. Very stiff steering is bad cables. Grab the motor near prop in bounces up and down look at the steering bearings, check lower end oil some filings are normal chunks........ Run.

That's just a start remember theirs lots of used boats.

Garnet