Marine Diesel Motors...Q?????????'s

brickNblock

Had a lengthy discussion with my father last night...mostly about his boat and what it needs to get it back in the water.

After he had his stroke about 4 years ago, the engine has never been run and now - will not.

They were about 300 miles off the KeyWest coast when this happened and the boat was towed in.

I am going to assume it is filled with sea water that has settled into all the parts.....

Does anyone have or know of anyone with Marine Diesel Knowledge?????????????

it is a Perkin's PrimaM50...........4cylinder Diesel

It now sits in drydock at the Whitby Marina.......and we're thinking of pulling the moter out and putting it into a small workshop locally.

Any information would be greatly appreciated......

peter

Can`t say for sure about marine diesels, the tractor trailers were bothered by water in the fuel a lot. Don`t know for sure the cause of it getting in the fuel, but possibly condensation in the tanks.

It was usually an easy fix, change the fuel filters and put some additive to the fuel to remove the moisture, sometimes drain the fuel and junk out and change the filters.

The fuel filters on the trucks were as big or bigger than an automotive oil filter and change the same way, screw on. It might be an easy fix?

Perkins diesels are pretty common, I drove some forklifts that had 4 cylinder Perkins diesels, pretty reliable engines.

Edited by OhioFisherman

There are two reasons a diesel will stop working.

Bad fuel pump. alot of older fuel pumps don't last with the lower sulfer.

Only 5% now.

Also could be water. Their a water separator filter that needs to be drained

from time to time.This is the one with a clear bottom.

Or it's seized.

My fav is S.N diesel or any heavy truck shop.

Cheap and non invaisive way first

# 1 will it roll over

#2 change glow Plugs

# 3 drain the tanks

#4 change the fuel filter

# 5 charge or change the batteries

# 6 new fuel

#7 check air filter maybe mice(stored so long might be a good idea to have a quick look at all wires

#8 cross fingers and fire it up

still no go make sure you got fuel flow(you will be able to see this in the fuel filter) deisels are pretty tough if i didnt draw water and hydra lok and bust any thing I would say its a good bet you can get it going without pulling the motor I wouldnt worry about fuel pump until you try this routine first if you can find an additive that you can add to the fuel for some lubrication properties it would probably be a good idea

May sound stupid but this is how i would approach it

Peter

Edited by BITEME