Carruthers Creek

diggyj

Anyone know if Carruthers Creek in Ajax has steelies in it?

Im thinking of hoping the fench in my backyard and giving it a try. There are some spots that look quite promising. Would I be wasting my time?

Thanks,

Dirk

I've never fished it but a quick search on google came up with a list of species found in Carruthers creek and rainbows was one of them. I'm not sure if they're the migratory ones (steelhead) or they stay in the rivers in the headwaters all year round (resident). Before you head out , check the regs to make sure your backyard isn't a sanctuary this time of year.LOL

Pretty much every river, creek, stream, ditch, storm drain and water pipe that flows into Lake Ontario gets a handful of rainbows wander up it each spring. And nope, I'm not kidding about the ditches, drains and pipes. I've come to the conclusion that given the opportunity, steelhead will run up a wet lawn.

MJL is right though - check the regs before heading out. Lots of spots don't open till the general trout opener on the last Saturday in April.

Pretty much every river, creek, stream, ditch, storm drain and water pipe that flows into Lake Ontario gets a handful of rainbows wander up it each spring. And nope, I'm not kidding about the ditches, drains and pipes. I've come to the conclusion that given the opportunity, steelhead will run up a wet lawn.

MJL is right though - check the regs before heading out. Lots of spots don't open till the general trout opener on the last Saturday in April.

You arent kidding...I have spotted steel in some strange places!

One being in TINY little creek near my house (when I say tiny I mean at the widest 4 feet across and two feet deep)

Also spotted a chinny (full grown, were talking 15 pounds here) trying to run up the same little creek except behind the Loblaws (superstore now) on gibb street in Oshawa. The only way it got there was by human interference, that creek connects to Oshawa creek but there its a grate.

I guess someone did the 100 yard dash across the field at central high school and dumped it in, and the bugger still managed to go kilometers upstream

Sorry for the Hijack...

Ya it probably does hold fish, but it would be a small run and they would likely be VERY skittish

I've come to the conclusion that given the opportunity, steelhead will run up a wet lawn.

I've seen fish swim up a boat ramp and into a parking lot so I would have to agree with you on that statement.LOL

I've seen fish swim up a boat ramp and into a parking lot so I would have to agree with you on that statement.LOL

That's because our dumb :asshat: _ _ _ released them as fingerlings at that boat launch... I have seen it and couldn't believe my eye's either :w00t:

That's because our dumb :asshat: _ _ _ released them as fingerlings at that boat launch... I have seen it and couldn't believe my eye's either :w00t:

That is pretty funny right there, and a testament to the imprinting abilities of trout and salmon! hehe

About 20 years ago, before there were any houses down in that area, that creek had all kinds of fish in it. We used to even get specks and resident browns in there. I'm sure with all those homes around it now, that is a thing of the past. We used to call it critters creek back then. As kids we'd spend all day long down in that creek.

Sinker

OHHHH!

now i know what that guy on the fishing show was ranting about. i forgot his name, but he's that fat guy who always has a shore lunch.

OHHHH!

now i know what that guy on the fishing show was ranting about. i forgot his name, but he's that fat guy who always has a shore lunch.

Hey..at least he speaks what's on his mind.. like his rant about the government letting too many immigrants into Canada, God forbid you say something like that anymore, or you'll get labeled as a racist.. :rolleyes:

Friend of mine works at a ketchup factory on the shoreline of Lake Erie. Every year they have a couple dozen stupid fish run up a drainage pipe, and follow it all the way into the tomato plant. The pipe is one of those corrugated steel things about three feet in diameter. To get into the plant building, they have to swim up this pipe for a couple hundred metres.

Kind of undermines the whole concept of fish as "brain food."

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Friend of mine works at a ketchup factory on the shoreline of Lake Erie. Every year they have a couple dozen stupid fish run up a drainage pipe, and follow it all the way into the tomato plant. The pipe is one of those corrugated steel things about three feet in diameter. To get into the plant building, they have to swim up this pipe for a couple hundred metres.

Kind of undermines the whole concept of fish as "brain food."

Now that's funny! :D

I've fished caruthers for over 16 years..and have yet to catch a bow in it...bass,pike,suckers,carp, even cisco...but no bows. Lived on the creek for almost 20 years..I'm not sayin it doesn't get any bows but in the 16 years I've fished it..none for me!