Pond for fishing

livinisfishin

It was a thought for me when I purchased my property, I should have researched it more before I bought the property. My land and neighbors has an underground stream bed wandering through it. I first noticed signs of it when the neighbors on the east side of me put in their large garden, they were kicking up a lot of gravel using the roto-tiller.

Neighbors on the west side of me hired a guy to put one in about 100 feet behind their home. I came home from work one day and they had piles of dirt pushed all over their yard and 2 bulldozers sitting in the yard. They had scraped all the top soil off the out line of a pond.

I went next door and talked to them, did they dig any test holes with a backhoe? No? They should have, a lot of gravel just under the surface, it might not hold water or be very costly to get it to hold water.

Next day they had a backhoe out and one scoop hit gravel and the hole filled with water in seconds. A few more holes and scoops still was bring up gravel and holes filling with water. All that has to be dug out and hauled away not good to dike up an end and no telling how much area was like that with out digging holes all over.

Neighbor to the west of them has one in his front yard, maybe 3/4 an acre? His home is set back off the road about 150 feet farther than ours, and he had no problems.

Lot of ponds in my area but choices of location and size on my property would be very limited.

Hey dude,

I did a small pond and was surprised at how much is really involved when it comes to building a pond...from what type of pond (lined, or clay bottom) to what type of plants to have it etc. etc. I have a good book but am busy right now and can't dig it up. If I don't get back you in a day or two shoot me a PM and I'll get you some info!

Cheers,

UF

Well, if you really want a pond for trout fishing: I just found out that the local trout farm is up for sale. Three fully stocked ponds, specs, rainbow, and walleye. 50 acres with a couple of cabins plus the main house, camp sites, petting zoo. Anyone want to run their own business and get to fish every day?

<_< Got two small ponds in the frount yard with a few specks. Don't catch them .They are really after a while become pets. Got a wee mink who nails the odd one. But that is what he is supposed to do. The worst offender is the herron who nails everything frogs, fish and leaves the large ones he cannot swallow to die on the bank. There should be a season on those critters.Ponds are ok but a lot of work. Steve