Fixing The Boat-Step 1,2,&3

MCTFisher9120

As mentioned earlier this winter i was given a aluminum boat from a friend of the family, so during our March break we went out to both claim the boat and visit some of our family. But we have a problem :o Near the very front end of the boat on the bottom directly past the middle rivet there is a hole in the aluminum roughly the size of a pea. What products can i get at Canadian Tire can i put on the outside and the in on this area to both seal the leak and keep it from opening up over time. Once this step is done with we are going to strip the old paint off both the outside and inside of the boat and put on some new stuff aswell as replace the wood that has been put in place over the aluminum bench seats(due to the instillation of the soft padded folding seats), then we need to find the right kind of wood to replace the wood on the back of the boat again on the inside and out(looks like ply wood). Here are 2 pictures of the new little 11 1/2ft tinny:

100_0289.jpg

ScreenHunter_01Mar201944.jpg

LOL Jeff... I'm the other way.. I wouldn't accept the weld !

Do you have a hand riveter and a drill Mike?? If so send me a picture of the hole and PM me your mailing address... I'll make you a patch and send you a drill bit/ required rivets and sealer to help you out.

LOL Jeff... I'm the other way.. I wouldn't accept the weld !

Do you have a hand riveter and a drill Mike?? If so send me a picture of the hole and PM me your mailing address... I'll make you a patch and send you a drill bit/ required rivets and sealer to help you out.

This is O K too Mike...get out the marine grade silicone/epoxy :lol:

Ok now this welder is curious, what does the airplane master use? :)

lol Jeff.. he'll be getting some aluminum.. a handfull of blind tank rivets (ie closed shop end) and a bottle full of Sikaflex (polyurethane based) sealant...and it won't cost him anything because I was in his "boat" a moon or two ago myself. I can tig weld aluminum ... I just chose not to ! ... and some vintages of boats may very well be un-weldable if they were made out of 2024

Edited by irishfield

lol Jeff.. he'll be getting some aluminum.. a handfull of blind tank rivets (ie closed shop end) and a bottle full of Sikaflex (polyurethane based) sealant...and it won't cost him anything because I was in his "boat" a moon or two ago myself. I can tig weld aluminum ... I just chose not to ! ... and some vintages of boats may very well be un-weldable if they were made out of 2024

A solid repair ;)

Nothing like peening a blind rivet in the morning :lol:

I replaced the wood on the transom on my tinny a few years ago. I didn't use wood and what I use will outlive the boat. I went to a store that sells equipment to restaurants and they have white plastic of different thickness that restaurants use as cutting boards. Remove the plywood that is there now measure it and call that place and ask them to cut you a couple of pieces the size of the plywood you removed. What I did with mine when it was put back on the boat was to put the motor on it and where the motor mounts end up on the plastic you just countersink a couple of holes so the motor will not be able to slide once it is tightened down.

. The 2 plastic pieces cost me about 35.00 and it will last a long time.

Here is a picture of the 2 plastic pieces. And on the picture that shows the boat upside down take a look at the welded patch on the bottom, it was to repair an 18" rip done when I hit a jagged rock. That weld has never leaked. So I don't think that a small rivet hole will leak if welded. Cost me 70.00 to get the patch welded on.

The big bolt in the middle of the plastic piece was just put there to reinforce the bracket that goes to the bottom of the boat. It was starting to break, because the guy that had the boat before me used a motor above the max rating for the boat and had too much torque

P3210001.jpg

P3210002.jpg

Edited by wallyboss

Mike thats a good litttle boat I had one just like it.Its a Thornes.

Just don't do like I did one second I let go the tiller handle on the little motor and next thing I know I was in the water I flipped the boat when I stopped it from coming at me.

1210314IMG_0286_1_1.JPG

12103IMG_0299_1_1.JPG

Edited by Mike the Pike