Post work steel show!

kemper

Hi everyone, first timer here. came across this nice messageboard while surfing for more steelheading information

It is very intresting how people think differently towards the very same sport - fishing

Not sure if any of you have been to this website or not

http://forums.fishusa.com/FishErie%25com_D...orumid_3/tt.htm

Instead of promting positive attitude to encourage people to get into steelheading,

some of you, probably because of being selfish, try to be secretive about spots/conditions.

Look at messages at PA boards, they not only share what baits to use, how the conditions are

even looking for people to fish together!

I would rather to get more youngers to get into fishing in return for more fundings for NMR.

Just my two usa cents

It's a little different in PA. There aren't 6,000,000 people living within 20 minutes of most of your spots.

There are no more secrets in the GTA. Unless I'm not aware of some. :lol:

:lol:

I like that :)

Yeah, I wish we could be as open here as you are in PA. Lots of reality interferes with this, like BillM said, we don't stock our steelies (or like 5% are stocked altogether on N shore Lake O), the golden horseshoe has something like 7,000,000 people (as pointed out by that alaskan rube ;), Drifter016) and most rivers east of the GTA are very small and delicate. They are excellent nurseries, which is why they have wild steelhead in them, but they are tiny and wilt easily under pressure. As Silvio pointed out, the number of returning fish in the Ganny used to be closer to 20,000 than 3,000 (which it is today), and much of that can be attributed to less stocking and more fishing pressure. C & R is of the utmost importance nowadays.

Part of the distrust you see is also born of the fact that not all of us who read the information posted on these boards are C & R anglers, and everyone - even poachers (not singling anyone out...) - can access the info with a click of a button. If I go to that river tomorrow, I can talk to anyone there and get all kinds of information the old way, through friendly chatting and sharing of experiences. The difference is that I made the effort to go, and I showed my good will. On the net there is no way to prove the existence of either. So when your creeks are little ditches, it's just natural to want to protect them from the huge readership that exists on the web.

.02 cents canadian = .015 cents US... sheeeet!

p.-

Edited by Paulus

Quote " I carry on me a direct number to a co-officer that patrols the east tribs and dont hesitate to call him when I see stuff that shouldnt be done." Quote

I dont mean to sound negative, but your dreaming if you think that the area C.O. will drop what he is doing to come out east and bust a couple of guys ditching fish. I understand that you have the best intentions. Good luck on the rivers this year and many to come. When it comes to steelheading these days............ Your not fishing against the fish ( thats the easy part ) Now your fishing against the fishermen.

Kemp & Jdmls......... Nice fish, you guys did great. B.T.W, Did you guys take lessons from solopadler on how to take a fish picture...........very original. LOL

Figured the backgrouds might have caused a stir...but without showing anything obvious that could look like 8 other rivers around here.

The guys that get out alot can pick out a river from a picture like that, but most cant.

Nice report and great photos. One comment about the photos. I'm not a big fan of the shots of fish that look like you're holding them like you'd hold a shotgun. Seems to be a trend amongst Steelheaders. Don't know why that is. I'd much rather prefer a side shot to see the fish in it's entirety and clearly.

Anyways, nice post. Enjoyed it. My best Steelheading is still 3 months away, if in fact I get out to enjoy it. The lower Nipigon is all mine in June. Miles of heaven all to myself.

That's a nice looking Kingpin reel bro...those new 478's are the cat's be hind in the 5 inch class reels. I love my Mykiss...but the new Kingpin with ABEC 7's ceramic ......fagedaboudit!!!

Wait till you see the new deep blood red, and wine burgandy colors!!! ...coming soon.

Hey Drifter 16, that is in fact a fine looking river in your pic........how many seconds after that shot was taken did that rod explode ?

note for current generation floaters: that is NOT how you torque a fish in.....please people, use the cork and leave the hands up approach to the guys that can afford a new rod every outting!

Cheers

RR

oh ya, and there are at least 200 guys that will know that spot by the back ground pics......but, it doesn't really matter because all 200 of them were there last week pounding steelies all last week from what I saw.

Even if these guys hide the back grounds, they will get PM'd to death if they post a big # fish day. I stopped doing that long ago....it's too bad, cause I love the pics but I hate the aftermath.

You guys remeber the CC pic about 6 years ago on Floatfishing.net ? he turned for the pic, to hide the background but his mirrored sunglasses reflected a very identifiable landmark. The next day there were 30 other guys there that figured it out because of photoshop zoom......sometimes, you just can't win. When you hit a good run, it's best to just sit on those pics or a while and not post a big # day at all.....maybe post them in the summer when we are all dying for chrome so the curren run ogenerously proportionedish isn't tracked and killed.

not preachin, just a suggestion fellas.

anyway, good on ya guys....and did I say, nice reel ? !!!

Cheers

RR

Hey Drifter 16, that is in fact a fine looking river in your pic........how many seconds after that shot was taken did that rod explode ?

Cheers

RR

It is still in fine shape, just ask Keith as he's the owner/operator. ;)

There are those of us that can in fact fish a rod in this fashion without blowing it up.