Help from float reel quys

Cudz

I've never used the reel pictured, but right enough, you see them on eBay all the time. My gut says you'd be better off to keep your $40 and put it towards a reel of proven quality.

If you hunt around you can find some pretty good deals on used float reels - usually what happens is someone buys it, tries it out, can't figure out how to cast and gives up before they learn. The reel goes on eBay or Kijiji having only been used two or three times. Be patient and you will see reels from makes like Raven, Okuma, Matrix or Aurora selling in the $150 - $170 range, which would be a pretty fair deal. You sometime see old Stantons and LG Custom Tackle float reels selling in the $100 - $150 range, and they're also a good deal, even if the bearings are shot (they're easily replaced).

With centrepin reels, you truly do get what you pay for. The type (i.e. density) of aluminum alloy used in its construction, the type and size of bearings used, and the pin material, design and size all make a huge difference in how easily the reel spins. Moreover, the actual quality of construction matters most -- high-end machining that delivers perfectly balanced spools and super-tight tolerances just costs more, no matter how you slice it.

I'd be pretty skeptical of any centrepin reel you can buy new for $40, shipping included.

I owned one briefly - I think the one I had was made in Russia. I paid $16 for it new. Got it mostly as a novelty toy and a loaner reel...Used it once. Tolerances were poor. It wobbled when you spun it and my 8lb mainline found its way into the back of the spool. I landed a few dozen suckers with it though.

I sold it to my friend who insisted it was a prototype JW Young Great Lakes Steelheader reel. I told him otherwise (more than once) but he offered me good cash for it and I sold it to him. He sold it shortly afterward.LOL

You're better off with another reel. Perhaps something like an Okuma Aventa if you're looking for a decent reel for cheap.

I owned one briefly - I think the one I had was made in Russia. I paid $16 for it new. Got it mostly as a novelty toy and a loaner reel...Used it once. Tolerances were poor. It wobbled when you spun it and my 8lb mainline found its way into the back of the spool. I landed a few dozen suckers with it though.

I sold it to my friend who insisted it was a prototype JW Young Great Lakes Steelheader reel. I told him otherwise (more than once) but he offered me good cash for it and I sold it to him. He sold it shortly afterward.LOL

You're better off with another reel. Perhaps something like an Okuma Aventa if you're looking for a decent reel for cheap.

laughingdog.gifcookoo.gifcookoo.gifcookoo.gif

As others have said, let that one go...

I picked up my 5" Stanton for $123 CAD including shipping from Great Britan off of Ebay, haven't done a thing to her and she runs great!

Just keep your eyes open and you may find a good deal.

Burt :)