Removed

lhousesoccer

Did you all know, that they drag ,LIVE ,dogs, through boiling tanks in China? This make for easy skinning, as theres none left when they come out.

There are many ways for many things at many places in this world. Wrong??????? Maybe to some,but not to others.

That was an educating post.

I have scalded pigs and brushed them to remove hair before but the pigs are dead before you scald them.Its hard work but makes for better cracklins!

I find nothing wrong with this. Folks needed to eat so they speared the fish or shot them. Its tradition and leagal so all is good. There were a few segments where you actually see a DNR officer measuring the fish. When I was a kid, I would use a bow and arrow to pluck the carp that managed to stay land locked in Laval sur le lac golf course. The river-rapids would overflow st.rose blvd every year and if we did not take out the fish, they would die as the water dried out. My mother had a knack of making any species ogenerously proportionedish taste awesome. Our father would also take us to an island in pte. Calumet to take out the pike that came in and spawned and ended up land locked as the water receded. It was crazy and insane, there would be hundreds of pike stuck in the swamp. We would actually get bumped by the fish as they swam past us. I believe that we used spears to fish them out. We harvested what we needed and left the rest to mother nature. This activity took place in the 60's. It was always a fun time waiting for ice out so we could go and harvest these fish. Gees my father used to use a oar to smoke the carpe that went by!! Crazy Russian read neck he was!!

When I get back to MontrealI will go through the pictures and find the ones of these outings and post them for all to enjoy!

Don't harp on it because it's different or you've never done it. Wait a few weeks and all the smelt threads will start.

Up here we net suckers in the spring. When I was a kid we used to go by boat up to the "sucker chute" - there were always people there. Now there's a house beside it - right in the middle of nowhere :(

They net whitefish the same way up north in the fall.

The first trip to the camp every spring my grandfather used to spear pickeral (not walleye :P). He grew up in Sturgeon. They would go out to an island in the middle of the channel and take a couple every year. If they had to, they'd use a strip of birch bark to draw them in near the rocks by shore. He mentioned they used to take a female, tie it to a line and bring it in towards shore. The smaller males or "bucks" would group up and follow her in and those were the ones they would spear.

When they did it at the camp it was 2 or 3 fish a year (if they made it out), for lunch the next day. It wasn't poaching - it was just something they did that was accepted at the time.

When I was young he told my dad he should take me out - my dad basically told him "It's different now. You can't do that anymore". There's still a couple spearheads in the shed.

During the summer it was common practice to take the canoe and the .22 out to the weedbeds for frog legs. If we did that now... :unsure:

It's easy to knock on something that you've never experienced.

Edited by Northhunter