Silvery Start to 2009

MJL

It’s been an awfully long time since I’ve fished in March for anything – The last 4 years I usually had mid-term exams and assignments due at this time of year. I managed to get out for a few hours today from 9am-12pm. Scouted out a couple of tribs but they were quite muddy. I ended up fishing a small trib that I didn’t even know had steelhead in it till a couple of days ago. It pretty much looked like a drainage ditch with lots and lots of wood about.

In the rush to get out of the house, I forgot my roe, single eggs, soft plastic tubes, flies, jigs, kwikfish and spinners at home…I only had pink worms with me in my wading jacket.

I tried pink worms for most of my time there but couldn’t get any fish to take. One angler who was leaving put some uber-stinky roe bags in an empty coffee cup and gave it to me to try. I stuck a chartreuse coloured roe bag on my hook and my first 2 drifts in I had a few light taps register on the float...3rd drift I got a hookup.

I didn’t really plan out what I was going to do if I got a hookup. I had a 13+ft rod with lots of wood both in the water and overhead…The fish made me go through all the position found in the Kama Sutra when it decided to go crazy. I was ducking under branches and guiding the line between some submerged roots. On top of that I slipped and fell on my ass twice during the fight – Mud and felt soles don’t mix.

I got to test out my new digi-cam on this small silvery buck of around 3-4lbs

P1030235c.jpg

P1030236c.jpg

Kudos to the angler that hooked me up with bait. Hopefully that fish was the first of many to come this year.

Great looking piece of chrome ... speaking of drainage ditches... dont laugh ... but a few years (ok more than a few) back we were driving around hwy 26 near thornbury and pulled over to watch the trout swimming up stream in a drainage ditch .... not a trib ... a drainage ditch ... was tooo much ... especially since the season was still closed so they were safe :)

I have a feeling that if you didn't even have pinkies, you'd be finding some brush that looked like bugs to put on your hook!

I was fairly close to the point of taking a pair of scissors to the squirrel I saw plastered to the road and making some flies or jigs...It wouldn't be the first time :D