Minn Kota 3 bank 30 amp charger

lew

I need a 3 bank charger for the new boat and am thinking about the MK330 and wondered if anyone uses it and has a 1st hand opinion on the unit.

They've got them at LeB's right now for $300 and no tax

I use a Minn Kota portable here at the house to keep the batteries charged thru the winter months and it works well, but have never tried their on-board chargers before.

I used a 2 bank Guest for the last 9 years on my previous boat and it's an excellent unit, but their price for a 3 bank jumps dramatically.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/bat...k330_3bank.aspx

Edited by lew

Thanks Terry, I always respect your opinion.

I'll be using 2 colour sonars plus a seperate colour GPS unit so I figured the 3rd bank for the cranking battery would help keep it fully charged.

Edited by lew

I have this on-board charger from Cabela's. I had it for 4.5 years when one day the light just started flashing. I called Cabela's to get info on who makes it so maybe I could do something with it. They look it up and said send it in and they replaced it FREE of charge. I did have to pay $14 for shipping to them but it was over 2 years past warranty.

But anyways here's the unit and for $189 you can get a 3 bank unit saving you about $100 for expensive gasoline to go fishing.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

Thanks Terry, I always respect your opinion.

I'll be using 2 colour sonars plus a seperate colour GPS unit so I figured the 3rd bank for the cranking battery would help keep it fully charged.

Hey Lew,

Sonar units draw very little power. Your big engine should keep your cranking battery well - charged. I have only run mine flat once and that was due to running the livewell for 7 hours without firing up the main engine.

A pair of booster cables will let you boost from your deep cycles to the cranking battery in a pinch.

Not sure about charging both deep-cycle & cranking batteries at the same time with the same charger?The cranker is designed to recharge via alternator while the deep-cycle require a trickle charge.

I think all you'll need is a 2 bank unless running a 36V system.

>Bill

I got a next-to-new one just like that when I bought my new boat last summer. I wasn't sure where to mount it, as it is fairly large and it would require extensions to one of the cables to reach the cranking battery. What I did is screw it to a large plastic cutting board with a handle and replace the ends of the cables with alligator clips. That means carrying to the boat at the end of the day, which is a minor inconvenience at times.

It has worked very well for me. If/when it bites the dust, I will replace it with the a two bank model of the same make, and mount it near the trolling batteries. (24 v) I only have a fishfinder and livewell drawing off of the cranking battery, so I don't think I need an onboard charger for that battery. Like I said, it's been good to me, but I've only had it one year. Andy

Edited by Andy

I had a close-up look at the MK330 today and am having 2nd thoughts about it now just because of the sheer size of that unit. It's 16" wide and weighs in at 20 pounds.

I'm heading down to the Sportsman Show on Wednesday and will have a look at what else is available, but may end up going with the 2 bank MinnKota instead.

Trust me on that Cabela's unit. At least take a look at it and read the literature on it. I know I would purchase another one. I have mine on 24/7 365 days a year. Really maintains my batteries. The starting battery must be at LEAST 8 years old now. But I am thinking of replacing it this year just because of it's age.

Bob

Edited to add: Check out the customer reviews on this unit that Cabela's has posted with this site.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...equestid=104551

Edited by Billy Bob

Lew; I think you will be fine with the 2 bank MK, like Slick said. Unless you have a 36 volt trolling motor. Mikes boat is charged with the 2 bank MK and it works well. If I'm not mistaken he is running an 80lb 24 volt Minn Kota trolling motor with the built in transducer and we can go roughly 2 to 3 days depending on wind conditions before it needs to be plugged in. Mind you we don't use it all day, we take time out to troll also. The batteries are fully charged overnight (9 or 9:30pm till 6 or 7 the next morning) Your main motor will charge your cranking battery. Go to the Minn Kota booth and talk to those guys. They will lead you in the right direction. Then just find the best deal possible.

Tom.

Hey Lew: I bought the ProMariner Sport 12 @ BPS last year....2 bank, Waterproof, it automatically shifts unused charging capacity to the most depleted battery. Does multi stage charging & equalization too. On sale @ BPS for $99 (-$60 off), check their flyer. I am very happy with mine.

Flyer

I ended up going to LeBarons this morning and getting the MK220 and figure it'll do the job I'm looking for.

They've got their no tax sale going on up there this week so if anybodies lookin for stuff, this is a good time to save some $$$$

Thanks for your suggestions boyz.