Ice condition on Simcoe

icefisherman

Wondering how is the ice on Simcoe today?

Specifically Jackson's Point area and/or Innisfill Beach Park area.

I guess there should be plenty of ice...but how is the shore ice?

Is it drivable around the cracks?

Are there cars/Trucks on the ice?

Last minute decision to try for a season close tomorrow.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Emil, the best thing for you to do is just go up there and see for yourself.

I wouldn't cross any cracks in my vehicle, but I know for a fact, there is plenty of good ice. The shore will be fine in the morning, but expect lots of traffic with people hauling off huts etc. I'm not sure how things will hold up when its time to come back in.

If was you, I"d head out of innisfil if your set on driving out. There are no cracks to cross to get to the fish, just keep in mind the traffic the shoreline is going to see over the course of the day. It can only take so much. The cracks I crossed yesterday on the east side of the lake were looking pretty nasty. There was one that was open about 10ft, with whitecaps and water blowing onto the ice. I'd say that's all frozen now, and will probably look safe to drive over........just be careful out there. Get out and take a look at anything that doesn't look right before you drive over it. Bring your spud.

I'm just going to walk. Better safe than sorry.

Sinker

I don't mind walking, done it many times couple hours each way...but the other guy cannot walk much. Back problems.

I'll take the SUV just in case...

The -15 tonight should keep the ice firm for the morning and we should be gone by about Noon anyways...

Thinking of JP as I haven't been there this season at all. May try the Sibbald Park entry as it should be much less busy and in better shape I hope....was hoping someone been there today can confirm.

I will not be crossing any cracks...but hope there a way around them to get to the JP fishing grounds...

Got way too many herrings at the IBP area last time...

Out of next three days tomorrow is the day...it'll be much warmer/busier on the weekend.

Good luck yo you tomorrow.

P.S. If you want PM me and I'll send you my cell number so we can keep in touch while on the ice tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Guest skeeter99
Icefisherman if you don’t mind me asking how you access the ice from sibbalds point? is it from the provincial park? if so do you need to pay? thanks bud.

the boat launch in the provincial park

yep you need to pay at sibbalds or they will ticket, to get on just drive off the boat launch

I have heard that the rain last weekend did some pretty bad things to the ice. Any cracks should be avoided as the run off from the rain, really hit the cracks hard.

Be careful out there and yah, this weekend will be pretty busy with folks gettin their shacks off the ice by midnight!

HH

The ice was great yesterday 16-18" where I was fishing, drove out, no pressure cracks visible (mind you there was a light dusting of snow on top of the ice. Very flat otherwise. A convoy of 5 large pickup trucks went by me and stopped about 1/2 km further, they caused some large cracking sounds but that's about all.

BTW this was Innisfil Beach.

Edited by HearingFish

Last weekend there were lots of small openings of an inch or 2 in that area. Saw lots of guys with their cars, trucks, atv's and the hut operators with the bombardiers' going out from JP. I stepped across one crack and felt the ice move under me, not sure if a vehicle would have done as well as I did walking. :dunno: Be safe and have a great day.