Eagle Claw slip floats

ColdH20guy

Hey guys,

I saw a bucket of Eagle Claw slip floats (without any spring or anything) in Home Hardware..just curious how to rig one up for some perch and crappie? It looks like you can pass your fishing line right throught it but I'm assuming you tie it off or split shot it somehow to stop it sliding?>

How would one 'rig it up'? or are they all supposed to have a spring on it?

thanks

Slip floats are great. You can set the depth to just about anything you want. We've still fished for lake trout in 100 feet of water using a slip float. They are great for keeping a bait at a precise depth.

You can buy a little bobber stop that threads on your line. Push the bobber stop up or down the line to set the depth. Next thread on the slip float and then tie on a jig or a hook with enough split shot about a foot or two above the the hook.

Bait up and cast the works out to your spot. The split shot will pull the line through the slip bobber until the bobber stop jams in the float. The float will noodle up. When you play a fish or reel in the float will slide down to the split shot.

If you can't find a bobber stop you can just tie a 4 wrap uni knot of dacron or black nylon line onto your mono. It has to be a thick line (not super line or mono). Trim the ends with a clipper. Works as well as a bobber stop.

If the hole is too big on the top of the bobber slide a little bead (dollar store) between the uni-knot and the float.

I use slip bobbers almost exclusively when fishing for walleys with the kids. I have a rock and weed filled bottom at about 15 feet. Set the stopper about 12' feet and the kids have a blast. Good for fishing realy deep runs for steelhead too.

Muddler

Learning to effectively use slip-floats will completely change the way you fish. I cannot understate how amazingly versatile and downright useful a proper slip-float system can be.

Also...I'll never get tired of watching a float go down. Seeing it disappear beneath the water is like poetry in motion.

yeah I hear ya!

but whatever happened to the old fashioned red/white bobber and fastening them at both ends, sliding them up and down as you wish?

slip bobbers are the way of the future! and slip knot! Can't wait to try it thanks!

well actually i have a trick for walleye fishing with slip floats. the best way i found was to put on your slip float then instead of a hook and split shot i use a jig head either 1/4 or 3/8 it's an awesome technique for walleye fishing in moving current or weeds

live never used slip floats for walleye fishing and i plan on trying it this summer when i guide, just one quick question how do you know how much weight on the float is too much?

Floats vary, meaning what they can handle for shot. Personally I just shot the float, shot by shot, until I get the sensitivity I want. Basically under shot is less sensitive and a little over shot is more sensitive.you will know it's too much when the float goes under. Most eagle claw and thill budget float don't mention how much shot they take. I use euro floats made for match fishing, and it say the shot in grams.

I have used them a lot in the past, another cheap way to do it is get foam eggs from a craft shop, the smooth surfaced ones are the best, push a hole in them with an ice pick.

They sell larger eggs in a craft shop than you would see a slip bobber size in, at least here in my area. I slid a slip sinker on the line instead of split shot, just because I used large minnows or chubs and more weight was needed to keep them down, they had a habit of swimming to the surface if smaller fish were bothering them. Used a swivel tied to the line to keep the sinker away from the hook and a leader to allow free movement and help prevent line twist.

Craft shops also sell beads and paint that won`t eat up the foam eggs if you want to paint them. Also you can tie a snap or barrel swivel to the bottom connection of the line and use a lighter leader, floro leader, or attach a steel leader to the snap.

Fishing with a slip float and big shiner or chub was a mixed bag event up north, walleye, bass, pike, muskie, gar pike, bowfin, steel leader came in handy at times or just a hook snelled with steel leader material. The 12 inches or so of hanging wire made no difference in casting distance.