Minn Kota Fortrex

lew

For the bowmount on my new boat, I ordered the MinnKota Maxxum Pro but I got a call this afternoon saying it's not available now, so their gonna up-grade it to the new Fortrex.

It's got all the bells & whistles and looks good on paper & in TV commercials, but I don't know anyone who uses this model and wondered if anyone here has any personal experience with it.........good, bad or otherwise ??

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/tro...nt/fortrex.aspx

The Fortrex looks sweet, Lew. Getting the 80 or the 101?

I bought the 24V, 70lb. Edge on your advice last season and it's running really well so I'm not about to change.

The Fortrex looks really good though!

I was at a seminar about them tonite, very nice, they did away with the pivot pins that come loose on the old ones, also they have a feature were you can remove it without taking off the base, as wel as easier to lift out, best feature is the new shaft lengths ,the heads are made of compisite material and they say that you could hit it with a hammer and not break,also never relised humminbird and minn kota were owned by Johnson!

Edited by walleyemen

also they have a feature were you can remove it without taking off the base, as wel as easier to lift out,

That was the one feature I was a bit concerned with, cause if they've made it so easy for ME to remove, it would seem that it would also be very easy for the thieves to remove too. Sounds like you just have to pull a pin and off it comes.

I'll be at the Sportsman Show next Wednesday and will have a talk with the boys at the Minn Kota booth. They must have some sort of locking device available.

I am using the Fortrex 101lb, 62" shaft and am extremely impressed. Running it on a Lund 1900 Pro-V IFS/SE

It is by far the most solid trolling motor unit out there, it really feels indestructable. I would suggest anyone already looking at a Maxxum Pro to upgrade to this unit as it is the succesor to the Maxxum.

I was trying to find a picture of it on my boat but realized I didn't have any real clear shots of it...oh well here is a bass to look at with the Fortrex peeking in the background...

IMG_0022Medium-1.jpg

They are new for 2009, but so is my boat and I had them both operational last fall. I think it is like cars where the 2009 models come out in the fall of 2008 for example.

As for the theft comment...you can use a padlock in place of the pin to secure the motor.

Edited by tonyb

I was at a seminar about them tonite, very nice, they did away with the pivot pins that come loose on the old ones, also they have a feature were you can remove it without taking off the base, as wel as easier to lift out, best feature is the new shaft lengths ,the heads are made of compisite material and they say that you could hit it with a hammer and not break,also never relised humminbird and minn kota were owned by Johnson!

They also own Cannon

I've been reading some reviews on this motor today and so far everone seems more than happy with it and it looks like MinnKota has come up with another winner.

Tony, thanks for your opinion on it too and your's seems to be the same as everyone else.

Larry, thanks for that link, it made for some interesting reading. I spose with any new model of any product there's gonna be a few problems but if it's consistant I'm sure they'll do something about it.

MinnKota has an excellent reputation and I'm confident this motor will be as good as everything else they produce........hopefully. :lol:

And Blake, thanks for your reply too and it seems the majority of folks are more than happy with it.