Wilmot Creek today

Dozer

The water was really high, fast and real dirty. Lots of people fishing. Guys using mostly pink worms and "average" sized roe bags. Guy next to us produced a fish with a small green roe bag ( I spy on peoples stuff, lol ) but apart from that, it was the only legal fish for the day that we saw ( only legal catch, my buddy snagged into a big 10 pounder and so did the guys around us ). I was using huge honkin' green bags and had one hit, most my eggs were peirced.

The general word from other people was that the water "is to dirty" and the other half say the water "was to fast". Its all a mystery for me still. Just gotta keep at it.

Any input on water to dirty/to fast? Would the rivers being blown/ really turbid just stress out the fish that it becomes lethargic?

Edited by Dozer

The fish are still there whether or not the river is blown. They just can't see anything :)

What you need to do is compare the days you are on the river with the flow charts. Then you can get an idea on what flow number compares to what water condition.

For me, muddy/dirty water never produces as well as stained or clear.

Fast/heavy current put the fish to hugging the bottom and behind objects that break the current, you have to use a lot more weight to get the bait down to the fish in heavy current.

Dirty water with strong current, fish aren't going to move very far to strike... you've got to put the bait right in front of them.

Fast and dirty can be a good combination, but rarely when you're talking about a river :whistling:

You were doing the right thing by going with a big, bright roe bag. Hopefully you were also fishing with a larger than average float, with lots of weight, to slow down your presentation. On days like today, you don't need to worry too much about finessing them, and you can spread out your shot to within inches of your bait. Targeting slower water (eddies, tail-outs, boulders etc...) can produce well on days where the fish are present but the water is dirty and clearing (in my opinion, it's always better if the water is clearing - if it's getting murkier, i just don't have the patience anymore... <_< ). It's like trying to catch a football in a thick fog for them. You could be bonking them in the nose, but if you're in the faster water they don't even have a chance to react. Regardless, Steelhead have very sharp senses of smell and sight, so if you give them time enough to see/smell your bait, there's a much better chance that they will react in the way you want them to. i.e FISH ON! :)

That creek is relatively small and very heavily fished, so please release most of your catch!

p.-

Edited by Paulus

Wow, lots of information, again!

Slowing down presentation with bigger bobbers, slow moving water ( the guy who actually produced the fish was fishing slower water in this one very specific spot which was no longer than 10 feet ), there is other information I have been "informed" of about a certain place to be targetting, seems that the two guys with high end reels were fishing these spots, both produced, so they say. But I'ma test that out myself before I open up my mouth :P

Well, another day in the "trout log". Blown, cloudy day, previous days of heavy rain and ice melting, pinks and big roe bags... what was the temperature, gotta get myself a thermo...

I did see three dudes around 1 on Wilmot that looked familiar, one guy sat down and started spinning some roe bags on a log :)

Kemper, look out for a goofy guy, that'll prolly be me, come by and say hello. I need to be your friend so you can tell me all your secrets! Interesting, bahaha!

Thanks for your input, everyone :)

LOL!! Your momy must be proud..

Oh she is quite proud.

Actually I cut myself off, I wasnt at the Willy but everytime you post that you hooked nice fish somewhere 10 pms come on asking what footprints you were standing in and how many eggs were in your roe bag.

Oh she is quite proud.

Actually I cut myself off, I wasnt at the Willy but everytime you post that you hooked nice fish somewhere 10 pms come on asking what footprints you were standing in and how many eggs were in your roe bag.

Lemme guess... Oshawa Creek!!

Bigger floats = more shot, which gets the bait down quicker...

If you have a relatively short run that you know the fish are in, there is no point in running a small float and only getting the bait down to the fish in the last few feet of the drift.

Bulk shot that sucker and get it down into the zone!!!!

...mmmmm, i'm oozing with information now... the days that I don't catch fish are the ones of most concern...

Sweet, well, I'll see you all again on Thursday morning! If you hear lots of coughing, come over and say hi :)