G3 Boats

Scott S

I'm looking at a used G3 alluminum boat. I don't know much about them and would apreciate some info good or bad. It's a 2003, not sure when the G3 started but it has to be close to when they started to producing them.

Thanks Scooter

A friend of mine bought a new one last year he is very happy with it.

I took a close look at them this year at the boat show and they seem to be well built.

Yamaha owns this company .Hey Italo and Chronzy use them.

Go to the G3 website alot of folks happy with there boats.www.g3boats.com

:Gonefishing:

The are nice to fish out of but we've had screws and bolts come loose on brackets. They used alot of plastic bracketing. My brother had been forced to make his own modifications on ocassion. You're right, that;s right about when they came out. gallery_12_111_27095.jpg

The only ones I have ever seen have been driven by people that are paid to drive them (on TV).

That is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think that they have caught on here yet.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

Not to get of topic but vibration is more of a problem in boats than cars, then add in the pounding from waves, rough water. Screws and bolts can loosen up on all of them. Usually when I replace a bolt I use a nut with a nylock insert and a touch of silicone rubber on a screw that loosens up when threaded back in will help prevent it.

I have friend that is sponsored by them. My recollection is that he told me G3 had some problems when they first came out, as one might suspect with any new boat. I don't recall them being major problems. I suppose it somehat depends on the size of boat you're looking to purchase and how it's been maintained as well as any design shortfalls. Can you do a good inspection yourself? Can you pull the floor out and look for loose or missing rivets and fasteners, signs of repair, broken or damaged bracing, any nonconformities around the transom, and so on. Unless the boat has been severely damaged at some point I'd probably be more concerned about the used motor.