tournament fishing

pike slayer

hey guys! i see there is the wawa ice derby this weekend. i wanted to go but my buddy just wont be able to make it. me and my buddy have been talking and we were wondering if there is a website that can tell us about all the different fishing tournaments in ontario. how do you get on with competitive fishing? is there mostly just "derbys"? we are willing to travel around in ontario and we may look into michigan fishing tournaments cause we live in sault ste. marie and we are right on the border of the u.s. what are the main requirements would you need to start? i think it would be an added thrill to fishing!

Dad got me started on the fishing deal, 4 boys and dad loved to fish, it took for 3 of us to one degree or another and just advanced from there.

Tournaments started for me back in the late 70`s, worked with a guy that also loved to fish for bass, dad was a depression kid and fish were food, panfish, walleye. So me and my buddy did the bass deal, open tournaments to keep the schedule free for family.

Joined a club in the later 80`s and fish their tournies, opens and some bigger tournaments. Just my form of gambling, I was outside where I loved to be,and involved in "the game" not a spectator.

Every day, every tournament was a separate challenge, a do over, find the answer to the problem, catch the biggest fish the fastest, get a limit. With the bass they got a do over too.

The bass club was a complete accident for me, just happened to be talking to one of my customers one day and some how fishing got mentioned. I told her I mostly fish for bass and she mentioned her son-in-law did too and we met a short time later. He was in the club, mostly guys he worked with but open to all.

No serious issues with the club, a good group of guys, some just got a little crazy with driving distances for a 1 day event, we fished 3 states, 1 days should be kept close to home.

Hey Pike Slayer well i got hooked on tournament fishing about 8 years ago. I love the competition and the thrill you get when your blasting off and weighing in. Some of the key points i picked up during my career in tournament fishing is you can never be prepared enough for the day of the tournament

Pre-fishing is a great way to prepare yourself for tournament day and doing your homework on the lake your gonna fish will make you a better tournament angler and fisherman in general.

Rod Selection is also another critical tool, you can never have enough rods. But i would have a good selection to cover the basic baits

-A Top water Rod

-Spinner Bait Rod

-Jerk Bait Rod

-Stick bait Rod

-Drop Shot rod

Those are the basic Rod setups i carry.

Here is a list of tools and equipment i always carry on the boat when i'm in a tournament.

- Culling system including a balance beam

- Rain Gear

- Map or GPS/Fishfinder combo

- Towel

- VHF Radio

Those are just some of the stuff i can think of right now lol

here are some websites you can check out to get an idea on the tournament scene

http://bigfatbass.com/

http://www.bassresource.com/bassfish/bass_...ournaments.html

check them out. I hope this helps :Gonefishing:

Well pikeslayer

Tournaments are the next level of fishing for sure. Never underestimate how different it is from just everyday fishing. But do enjoy.

I have a couple of links that might interest you where I did a weekly blog for my first couple of years tournament fishing.

You might find them interesting.

Any questions you have please feel free to contact me.

First year

http://www.anglerschat.com/showthread.php?t=4041

Second Year

http://www.anglerschat.com/showthread.php?t=5300

If you want to see the pics go to www.myfishingpictures.com and search Seaweed and click on the photo of me and my wife and that will take you to my album

Enjoy

I will be fishing tournaments again this year if I can but I am building a new house....so ? I did take last year off due to the high cost of gas.

time & money are the two main things required to get in competitive fishing

now it all depends too on what main species you wish to fish for and as well what kind of boat motor you have

if you wanna just have some fun and not get totally serious then there are lots of low key derbys or one day tournies for many different species depending on the waterbodies tht are near you. For these a typical modest boat/motor would suit you well