"rhino" lining ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone,

Ive been thinking of ways to damper the sound in a small aluminum boat. I could put a floor in, but thats going to add a tonne of weight. I though about carpet, but I dont know how I would get it to stay in place.... Then it came to me... What about "rhino" lining, or something to that effect.... What Im getting at is basically is some sort of spray on bed liner ??? Im not talking about the WHOLE inside of the hull... but maybe 2/3s the way up the side. Something that will damper the sound of falling sinkers or banging rods etc.

Has anyone tried this, or done it to there own boat ???

:huh:

Edited by Lunker777

Funny you say this i have the hippo liner from crappy tire and i was going to do the keel on my old fiberglass, we beach it all the time on sandy shore at camp so i figured this would help alot with the deep grooves from fist sized rocks hidden in the sand on shore, looks dont matter or smoothness not looking for top end speed! i wonder if it'll stick tho to the fiberglass finish?

Guest skeeter99
Hey everyone,

Ive been thinking of ways to damper the sound in a small aluminum boat. I could put a floor in, but thats going to add a tonne of weight. I though about carpet, but I dont know how I would get it to stay in place.... Then it came to me... What about "rhino" lining, or something to that effect.... What Im getting at is basically is some sort of spray on bed liner ??? Im not talking about the WHOLE inside of the hull... but maybe 2/3s the way up the side. Something that will damper the sound of falling sinkers or banging rods etc.

Has anyone tried this, or done it to there own boat ???

:huh:

use the bedliner stuff from crappy tire, no need to prime or scuff up (this stuff sticks to anything) my buddy did this over 8 years ago and zero has fallen off and the boat has absolutley no leaks

I would not paint the inside, flip it over and do the underside

use the bedliner stuff from crappy tire, no need to prime or scuff up (this stuff sticks to anything) my buddy did this over 8 years ago and zero has fallen off and the boat has absolutley no leaks

I would not paint the inside, flip it over and do the underside

Im looking to dampen the sound coming off the boat ? Does it help with that also ?

I don't want to burst your bubble but that's the last thing I would do. You'd be adding considerable weight to the boat (think fuel efficiency) not to mention inside access to rivets which might, at some point need to be replaced or tightened. You also will eventually develop a leak between the aluminum and the liner and you'll need a 50hp to move it.

Why not just be quiet and save yourself alot of $ and time and a potential headache. You could build a platform at your seat and carpet it to deaden sound, that way it would be cheaper and removable to access the hull if need be. Stealthliness is to be respected but not at the expense of gas mileage with all the extra weight you'll be adding with the spray on liner. :whistling:

Dont worry about the added weight.....i mean you would only be adding the weight of a gallon can so basically the weight of an extra bait bucket. I have done this to my 17'6 Fischer underside using a product from the states basically the same concept as bed-liner only not as rough finish. I could not tell the difference and i used 2 gallons. i will be doing both inside and outside of my 14' aluminum this spring as its great stuff and stiffens up the hull noticably. i say go for it and dont let guys who never tried it discourage you.

i say go for it and dont let guys who never tried it discourage you.

I've never tried it so you probably shouldn't listen to me. The liner may help deaden the sound a little, but for all the reasons mentioned its not the best alternative. A very cheap and easy solution is to build a small floor for the bottom. Not a big platform tied into the seats with a casting deck and storage etc. Rather you just cut a couple pieces of plywood covered with any marine or outdoor carpet and place it on the floor areas where you intend to walk. The pieces can be installed so they are permanently attached or so they can be removed. I've seen both and they work fine. An added benefit is that you have a nice relatively flat floor to stand.

It has been several years since I saw it for sale, but the Canadian Coast Guard used some non-slip rubber matting around 5/8 inch thickness that could be cut up to fit profile of bottom of the boat. It was for sale at the Home Hardware (the hardware store, not the lumber Home Hardware) in Parry Sound. Not sure if they still carry it. Came in a 4 or 6 foot wide roll and was pricey...about 12 dollars a foot of roll. Might be able to research a source for it currently.

Edited by blue pickeral