French River help - cottages and general fishing knowledge

snag

Accommodations:

My brother is looking into booking a place for us near the end of May.

Northern channel area I believe.

Here are a few cottages and lodges being considered:

Green Bay Cottages

Bryer’s Lodge

Memquisit Lodge

Any one have any recommendations?

We don't need anything fancy because we'll spend the days fishing and the nights hunting down unwanted renegade braincells.

Feel free to divulge generally good fishing areas. (Northern channel )

Thanks! :thumbsup_anim:

Snag

I stayed at Bryer's twice and was very pleased with the accommodations, location etc.

The French is littered with Bays, drops, islands, weedbeds, and structure. I recommend looking at previous posts for general fishing locations for Wolseley Bay.

There are some trophy musky that cruise by the lodge daily. We were hanging out at the main lodge one day, which overlooks a rock shoal, and we saw two monster musky cruise by. Don't hesitate to throw out a live sucker bait from shore, I'm confident that you'll hook into a big ole pike or musky.

I was fortunate enough to catch a 50+ musky about a 5-10 minute boat ride from the lodge.

Good luck with your search.

Unfortunately.. Muskie won't be open in late May. You'z gonna be fishing Pickeral and Pike only Snag !

And Memquisit is actually right by the West Arm... just a couple miles, if that, from hwy 64 and Lakair Lodge. Nice sheltered area off Nippissing to Fish, but a pretty good run to get into the French.

I stayed at Bryer's twice and was very pleased with the accommodations, location etc.

The French is littered with Bays, drops, islands, weedbeds, and structure. I recommend looking at previous posts for general fishing locations for Wolseley Bay.

There are some trophy musky that cruise by the lodge daily. We were hanging out at the main lodge one day, which overlooks a rock shoal, and we saw two monster musky cruise by. Don't hesitate to throw out a live sucker bait from shore, I'm confident that you'll hook into a big ole pike or musky.

I was fortunate enough to catch a 50+ musky about a 5-10 minute boat ride from the lodge.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks Bassman,

I'll pass this onto me brudder'.

Sucks that I won't be there for musky season but we may re-schedule to be there for it.

Cheers,

Snag

Unfortunately.. Muskie won't be open in late May. You'z gonna be fishing Pickeral and Pike only Snag !

And Memquisit is actually right by the West Arm... just a couple miles, if that, from hwy 64 and Lakair Lodge. Nice sheltered area off Nippissing to Fish, but a pretty good run to get into the French.

Yeah I know but it was the only time all our schedules worked.

I'm trying to push the date for Musky.

Thanks IF,

I really have to work on these guys.

There will be 6 or more of us!

Agreed,

I'm hoping I don't have to play the role of C.O. and enforcer with some of the unknowns.

Previous participants have ragged about my rigidity and said I should relax

I remind them of the cost of a fine (+ everything they own) vs. a fish.

Suddenly, I'm not so anal anymore :dunno:

We should talk Grant.. I have "extended" family on the French!!

And don't even think of backing out on our trip to Muskoka.. It's still in the works!

Until then, take your meds and have yourself a little chill session in the lab.

aayooooo!!

Okie Dokie

Casablanca Lodge, Riverview Cottages and Wajushk Cottages.... fairly prices and easy to get to

from why 64 and 69 they're in Dokis Bay right on the upper french..

If ya wanna go for an American Plan... check out Chaudiere Lodge or Lunge Lodge..

very pricy though.

Good Luck..

RFS

:canadian:

Snag:

My wife and I have been staying at Wolseley Lodge the past few years and I have a couple reports out there in history somewhere. The accommodations at Wolseley, at least in the cabin we rent, are modest and well suited for our needs. Price is very reasonable, but they did up their docking fee to 75.00 per week for larger boats - which mine would fall into (Bypassing Wolseley this year to meet up with Dad over on the Rideau). We pass Bryers as we come out Wolseley Bay and looks like a very pretty nice place from the water. You'd have access to a lot of fishable water right from there.

Bassman hit it as we were trolling right past the lodge and something nailed my lure. But until I got out of the seat, she was gone. Just a little further out in a bay on the opposite side, my wife hit into a very nice sized musky, guessing 40s, but it must have rolled over the line and we lost her. In the few years we have visited that area, I've never actually landed one, but do know of a few places that hold some nice musky. I have several places marked where I've had follows and a few blow-ups on top water. So, the big girls are there, I just have to be fortunate enough to latch into one.

For the most part, in that area the main channels are fairly clear, but you do have to be careful around the shorelines and don't cut the corners too sharp, or you may be in for a pretty nasty bump.

We're typically in the area mid to late September, whcih makes for some nice fishing, although the days are getting shorter by then. Last year, I spent more time with Top Waters in the bays and around the many shoals, and had a nice blow-up on it once, but she missed. I mixed things up quite a bit, just trying to figure out what they may be after. There are 50's caught in the area each year and within easy boating distance and time from Bryer's.

When I read the title of North Channel, I have stayed at Rainbow Camp and Trailer Park, on the North Channel of the French. This is right after you would turn off Rt. 64 onto 528 - heading down to Wolseley Bay. Althought I have only landed two skis in my life, that's where it all began. First a 29" to get the juices going, then a 43" the next year. I've seen skis various place, but only showing two for my efforts. That part of the French is kinda locked it with rapids on both ends of the channel. Rainbow sits somewhat in the middle with about 5 miles of water on both sides. Going back there again this September.

Best of luck and show me a picture of what they really look like.

Rich

Edited by Rich Clemens

Randy, thank you very much.

I've sent those on to my brother.

It's his decision because he's bringing the troops with him!

Rich,

WOW, what a novel!

Thanks so much.

I copied your reply and mailed it to my brother to forward onto the group.

I'm hoping that it will get everyone to reconsider may and push into July.

Our group is growing thanks to family on my brothers inlaws and that may push us into the campground/trailer park you recommended.

Topwater Musky would be soooooo nice!

Thanks again!

P.s. Did I tell you I grew up with Airedales. Great family dogs :thumbsup_anim:

Steve-Paul,

Thanks for the PM!

Hope we can connect.

Thanks again.

OFC Rules! :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

I stayed at Bryers when it was called Waverly Lodge ('90); last year stayed at Wolsley Lodge. comfortable cabins, a real super Friday night buffet.

Have been taking the fam to Dry Pine Camp near Alban for the last 10 or so years. Nice clean cabins and good value for your buck. We always get a 3 bedroom cabin and a 16' lund with a 20hp (incl gas) for a reasonable cost. Fishing has been pretty good in July for me. Many nice fish have been caught right off the dock. Walleye fishing has improved dramatically over the years that I've been there.

WR

I too have stayed at Wolseley Lodge. Cabins are comfortable and they have a restaraunt if you don't feel like cooking. Lots of weedline lines and bays. Try by the Five Finger falls for walleye. And watch for rocks.

Good luck

I stayed at Bryers when it was called Waverly Lodge ('90); last year stayed at Wolsley Lodge. comfortable cabins, a real super Friday night buffet.

Have been taking the fam to Dry Pine Camp near Alban for the last 10 or so years. Nice clean cabins and good value for your buck. We always get a 3 bedroom cabin and a 16' lund with a 20hp (incl gas) for a reasonable cost. Fishing has been pretty good in July for me. Many nice fish have been caught right off the dock. Walleye fishing has improved dramatically over the years that I've been there.

WR

Thanks,

davew3

and

wildeye rainbow

You've justified our decision!

It's just what we wanted to hear.

Great area, accomodations and superior dock fishing can't be beat!

RAF,

Many thanks for your recommendations and years of observation in the area.

I forwarded parts of it to me brudder' so that they understand the rules of the region.

(3rd party makes the medicine go down)

Now I'd better not disappoint you all!!!

Cheers,

S.