Have you ever heard of this???

Cudz

Ok... we had a thread on this topic a number of years ago. I like the O.P., wasn't sure what the laws were, so I called the Ministry.

You can use the eyes or parts of any fish, as long as it was legally caught and intended to be kept. This includes game fish. You are not allowed to use the whole fish (gamefish) but any part can be used as bait. Just be sure to have your "parts" fish in a state that it can be properly dressed, for consumption.

That means that you could use pike eyes, whitie eyes, virtually any fish in season.

Removing the eyes is pretty simple if you have the right tool. I have used a pencil, with a wire loop attached to the bottom. The key is to keep the eye in as good shape as possible, so it lasts longer on the hook.

HH

Ok... we had a thread on this topic a number of years ago. I like the O.P., wasn't sure what the laws were, so I called the Ministry.

You can use the eyes or parts of any fish, as long as it was legally caught and intended to be kept. This includes game fish. You are not allowed to use the whole fish (gamefish) but any part can be used as bait. Just be sure to have your "parts" fish in a state that it can be properly dressed, for consumption.

That means that you could use pike eyes, whitie eyes, virtually any fish in season.

Removing the eyes is pretty simple if you have the right tool. I have used a pencil, with a wire loop attached to the bottom. The key is to keep the eye in as good shape as possible, so it lasts longer on the hook.

HH

So if i bring home a few walleyes one day and decide to keep the butterfly (under the jaw area) I can then use this as bait on folowing outings?? Or just if I have the rest of the walleye with me??

Edited by wallyboss

How long as this been okay??Or has it always been okay?I am pretty sure that it is illegal in Quebec.

Dan,

I checked the regs for QC and it's not legal.... here is an excerpt

Poissons interdits comme appâts

Dans les eaux où il est permis d’utiliser le poisson comme appât, il est interdit d’utiliser et d’avoir en sa possession, pour servir d’appâts, les espèces suivantes, qu’elles soient vivantes ou mortes, entières ou en partie : achigans, barbottes, barbue de rivière, brochets, carassin (poisson rouge), carpe, chevaliers, crapets, dorés, esturgeons, gobie à taches noires, lamproies, laquaiches, lépisosté osseux, lotte, malachigan, maskinongé, ombles, perchaude, poisson-castor, saumons (atlantique, coho, chinook, kokani, ouananiche), tanche, touladi, truites et toute espèce de poisson à nageoires qui n’est pas indigène au Québec.

Jacques

As I said Web-Fisherman, you must keep the fish (game fish) and not allow it to spoil on the ice. It will count as part of your daily limit.

Should you talk some fish home, remove the eyes and then, at another date, use the eyes, you should be ok, as long as you leave a piece of skin on any fish you have at home inyour freezer. Should you not have any fish in your possession, then you should still be good.

HH

Ps... anyone have any musky eyes lying around! Lol!

Edited by Headhunter

As I said Web-Fisherman, you must keep the fish (game fish) and not allow it to spoil on the ice. It will count as part of your daily limit.

Should you talk some fish home, remove the eyes and then, at another date, use the eyes, you should be ok, as long as you leave a piece of skin on any fish you have at home inyour freezer. Should you not have any fish in your possession, then you should still be good.

HH

Ps... anyone have any musky eyes lying around! Lol!

I wonder how the limit is affected when you are back out fishing with cured perch eyes. Say you have 40 perch eyes left as bait which equals 20 fish and then you catch 35 new perch when a CO happens along? Are you going to get a fine or a nice pat on the back since you technically over your limit at that point.

Guest gbfisher
I wonder how the limit is affected when you are back out fishing with cured perch eyes. Say you have 40 perch eyes left as bait which equals 20 fish and then you catch 35 new perch when a CO happens along? Are you going to get a fine or a nice pat on the back since you technically over your limit at that point.

The great thing about Perch eyes is that you only need 10 or so to bag a limit of 50 with plenty going back down the hole.

No wet hands from using minnows. Only wet hands from catching Perch.. :thumbsup_anim:

The eyes will not count against you limit...... <_<:rolleyes::D

Hope this helps...

I've heard about using perch eye's many times and know guy's that swear by them.I've also trid to use them myself.My question is how do you remove the eye from the fish.I've only tried by using a hook to poke it out,but to no avail. Do you guy's use a knife to remove the eye or wait until it's frozen.

Greg

I've heard about using perch eye's many times and know guy's that swear by them.I've also trid to use them myself.My question is how do you remove the eye from the fish.I've only tried by using a hook to poke it out,but to no avail. Do you guy's use a knife to remove the eye or wait until it's frozen.

Greg

I also use eyeballs for catching smelt through the ice. You can pop the eyeball out. Press down behind and under the eyeball and it will pop out. Occasionaly you'll mess up, it just takes practice.