aluminum boat and algea

love2fishhave2work

I am debating on leaving my boat in the water for the summer on simcoe as opposed to towing back and forth. One concern is the algea stains that I see on the boats. I have an aluminum in mint condition. Anyone have experience with what a season on the water will do to the boat and motor? Is there a way to remove all of the algea or am I better off keeping it on dry land?

Help would be appreciated.

My Lund is in the water from about May 10th to late October (the 26th last year). I scrub the sides a few times thru the season with a sponge on a broom.. similar to a kitchen mop. The bottom doesn't get too too bad and a spray of starbrite hull cleaner and a rinse takes care of it pretty good when I bring it home. This is on painted hull.. not bare aluminum mind you. My airplane floats... bare alum.. get etched nice and shiney below the water line. Sometimes I think I should take it in shallow water and sink it so the entire float looks the same.

Now Temagami is pretty clean water... take the boat to Nippissing at Lakair for a week and it gets almost as dirty as a whole summer on Temagami. Not sure how quick Simcoe slims them up.

Edited by irishfield

slimy grimy will remove anything from your hull.

I keep my boat in the water most of the season. I get a bit of staining, but it always comes off. Keep your engine out of the water though, mine seems to be pitting a little bit on the lower unit. I haven't tried to get it off yet though.

Sinker

My boat also sits in the water all season, but about once a week I use a fairly soft bristle brush and scrub the hull & motor and it keeps it pretty clean. Whenever I pull it outta the water to head to a different lake, I use a spray cleaner called Super Clean from CTC and that does an excellent job.

After 10 years though, it definetely has a bit of a light green stain that seems to be on there permanently.

Get a aluminum hull cleaner from a marina , Captain Phab works really well. Your hull will come out a little on the dull side but it does come clean. My boat stayed in the water at the french River all season and it came clean.

If you have an aluminum boat that sits in the water that has electric run to the dock/marina you should install EXTRA magnesium/zinc anode to a grounded part of the boat. The pitting and corroding you see on the motor is actually happening all over the boat.

Art