snowmobile engine NOT siezed

skeeter

ITS NOT SEIZED......

i can turn the primary clutch by hand 3 or 4 turns backwards.

then it gives a clink and stops turning, like there is something caught in it.

i can then pull the start cord and it will turn foward the same amount and stop.

both pistons are moving up and down.

the plugs are a greyish brown and dry.

the fan belt is still in working order and it also turns when i turn the clutch.....

so can any one tell me what it might be????????????

please

that doesnt mean it did not seize, when they seize they are hot and the piston is expanded, when they cool down the piston becomes smaller and isnt seized anymore, i've had first hand experience with that twice <_<

Since its a fan, the best thing to do is take the head off and look at the pistons and check for damage. Or even look threw the exhaust ports if you can.

Edited by Ciceri

pull the heads on it fairly easy ,or take a long handle screwdriver pull the plugs out insert screwdriver and turn over slowly if theres slack or clanking a rod bearing let go,id fix it for ya if it was closer ,could very well be a crank bearing,I wouldent force it around to much if its stopping you can do more damage

It's not a hard job...

Pull the fan shroud off the engine..5/16 socket I think... then take the exhaust off..3/8 allan wrench.

Take the plugs out... then take the heads off...1/2" or 9/16 I forget.

Tap the Cylinders lightly with a " Bob Malette " rubber mallet and pull them off ...

What do you see?...

My guess is that the right hand side piston has blown.. that's right on the fan side.

due to the Nylon gear that runs the Oil Injection.. or the fan belt slipped while wet.

I've blown the 368cc{ 377 } .. the 447 {439 i think} and of course the 497 {503}

Usually an easy 350.00 job.

Post pics

Good Luck!!

RFS

:canadian:

It's not a hard job...

Pull the fan shroud off the engine..5/16 socket I think... then take the exhaust off..3/8 allan wrench.

Take the plugs out... then take the heads off...1/2" or 9/16 I forget.

Tap the Cylinders lightly with a " Bob Malette " rubber mallet and pull them off ...

What do you see?...

My guess is that the right hand side piston has blown.. that's right on the fan side.

due to the Nylon gear that runs the Oil Injection.. or the fan belt slipped while wet.

I've blown the 368cc{ 377 } .. the 447 {439 i think} and of course the 497 {503}

Usually an easy 350.00 job.

Post pics

Good Luck!!

RFS

:canadian:

its a Bombi Randy its Metric

I had a motor do the same thing but I can't remember what it was.

If you can turn it 4 turns .... whats on that motor that turns at a ratio to the crank ....has a bolt backed out of the stator or starter......the fan is belt drive so it would be at a ratio to the crank is something catching in it.

Can't be in the cylinder or it wouldn't get through a full stroke.

Maybe if you gently bump it up where it stops you might be able to here where it is.

Hard to guess without hands on.

it feels like and sounds like its coming from inside the primary clutch,

but thats just my guess.

and the dealer had the stator coil out to repair a gap in it a year ago last december,

because it wouldnt start with the key buy it would when you pulled it over.