Florida Bass Fishin !!

Lunker777

Hey everyone,

Headin down to Orlando the second week of march and Im lookin for a good Bass fishing guide.

Ive been doing a little re search online and I came across " Hawghunters"....http://www.hawghunter.net/home.htm... they seem to be a pretty decent charter.

You can get 2 full days on whatever lakes you want for $700 US for 2 people ? Or since Im goin out with the Wife, and I dont know how she will handle casting/retrieving for a full day, you can do a 6 hour trip for I think $350 US for 2 people.

Any one ever done this before ? Hiring a guide that is, what was your experience ?

Is there any decent shore fishing in the Kissimee area ? granted I can skip the Gators ! haha

Thanks !

Tyler

One of my buddies went down there a few years ago with his family. He is a tournament angler here though, hired a guide and shiner fished for a day, he got a 10+. He didn`t do as well on his own, nothing over about 5 pounds. He had trailered hi triton down there.

Want a big fish and are on a tight schedule a guide is the way to go? Think they also charge for wild shiners over bait store ones.

http://www.hawghunterguideservice.com/okeechobee.htm

Captain Frank Carbone has been looking after our company functions in Miami for the last few years and I would reccomend him.

He employs real great guides and first rate boats and equipment. We have fished in the Everglades and recently in the Canals for Peacock Bass.

He has been on a number of shows. Usually $350 for the day, plus bait plus tip (usually $50 bucks)

Best part is blasting through the canals in the Everglades at 75mph ++.

I don't know about you guys... but 350 for six hours.... that's a bit steep.

I personally am going down on Saturday for two glourious weeks of Florida fun.... but I elected not to fish bass. I am going sea fishing on a big charter for 60 bucks for an eight hour tour.

With the Space Shuttle launch, the Daytona 500, Universal Studios, and a few afternoons tagging along to the shopping malls... Basspro.... well the thoughts that I need to fish bass... I think I can wait till spring.

I must say though that I worked hard to find a deal on bassin in Florida... they are non-existent. I did however through some of my other channels find a couple of offers of people willing to take me out for an evening fish and if things work out I just might do this... and fill their tanks up for the favor.

Sorry but for the amount of bite going on in February in Florida.... and twenty bucks a dozen for boring shiner fishing.... 350 bucks just is way over the top.

But for those who go... I hope you catch a whopper. I will post my results. :whistling:

I used a guide a few years back, (results in my avatar).

I'd highly recommend it. You're almost guarenteed a great day.

You wife should be able to handle it, because its shiner fishing for the most part, unless your request using artificials.

I paid $250 for 4 hrs...

i've use tom and jerrys

http://www.tomandjerrys.net/

i used them in 01 and then in 07.

they fish on lake tohopekeliga which is one of the great bass lakes in FL.

i was guided in '01 by the older gentleman, he was the father, and then in '07 by the younger gentleman, brent i think is his name.

i'm going down this march but i'm not sure if i'm ready to shell out the 250 again. times are tight.

the knowledge of the guides were excellent. but if you can, ask to be guided by the older gentleman. i believe his name is jerry. the younger guy (brent) was just too busy making reservations for his clients and was on the phone all day. it was quite annoying. i think they were around 250ish for a half day.

And don't worry about casting all day. you can lure fish if you want, but primarily you are tossing or trolling shiners. in 01 we went in june and we didn't catch anything huge, but we must have caught 30-40 bass. in 07 we trolled and we didn't catch a lot but we had at least 10 hits and we landed 5-6 bass ranging from 5-10 lbs.

so even though my experiences w/ them are mixed, i would go back so long as i get the older guide.

you do have to pay for shiners and a license and tip on top of the regular rate.