I need a little help for a term paper

kemper

Hey OFC,

I have to write a paper for one of my courses "human impact on the environment" , its an elective (I'm a economics student) and I figured it might be an interesting class.

Anyways the paper needs to be about a resource that we have ruined in some way shape or form, and the activites/causes/results of us doing so.

I want to do something fish related, so can anyone think of a fishery that has been ruined because of humans ?

Only one rule (heres where I run into problems), it CANNOT be in Canada.

Thanks

Hey OFC,

I have to write a paper for one of my courses "human impact on the environment" , its an elective (I'm a economics student) and I figured it might be an interesting class.

Anyways the paper needs to be about a resource that we have ruined in some way shape or form, and the activites/causes/results of us doing so.

I want to do something fish related, so can anyone think of a fishery that has been ruined because of humans ?

Only one rule (heres where I run into problems), it CANNOT be in Canada.

Thanks

How about human development encroaching on the Everglades? How about over fishing in Alaska? Another good one is the impact humans have on the Blue Fin Tuna population because of over fishing in the Far East

Not sure if anyone knows this but a lot of recent studies have shown that the tuna in the mediterrainian is the same all over the world. Tuna migrates around the world. Some studies have shown the same individual that was tagged off the coast of Florida, was caught 2 years later off the coast in africa and then near Greece a year later. A lot of work has been done to save the blue fin, but unfortunately with large specimans fetching several thousand dollars, some people won't stop.

Cronzy's show this past weekend was about brook trout and how you have to go to Timbuktu now to fish them when you used to be able to fish them in the ditch at the end of his yard (or something like that).

Maybe you could quote "the Cronz" and even interview him on the subject for the paper. Then have a shore lunch while you're at it.

Good luck,

Jim

How about human development encroaching on the Everglades? How about over fishing in Alaska? Another good one is the impact humans have on the Blue Fin Tuna population because of over fishing in the Far East

Thanks!

Everglades was the only one that came up in my schools online journal database so thats the one that im gonna go with

thanks everyone

How about the Impact of War for the Environment. The Oil Fires in the first Gulf War. Or the former Yugoslavia. Not sure what the impact of War has done to the fisheries of the Danube or the Gulf. It would be a unique paper that I'm sure no other class mate is doing. You may have to do some hard digging research wise. May want to correspond with some overseas Universities to get help

Well as you have the restruction of out side the Canada, how about fresh water Dolphin aka Indus Dolphin/blind river Dolphin, of the world's rarest mammals and the second most endangered freshwater river dolphin.

http://www.wwfpak.org/sc_indusriverdolphin.php

http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=340

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where_we_wo...pakistan/indus/

http://www.animalinfo.org/species/cetacean/platmino.htm