RAM Mounts

icefisherman

Anyone using RAM mounts on their boat?

I'd appreciate your comments as to their quality/reliability?

There are so many sizes ....will I need 1" ball or 1.5" ?

And short vs. long arm considering I need to fit it under the windshield of my Lund 1700 Pro Sport.

Want to mount one LMS 525 and one LMS 520 at the helm and network them together.

Here are the three I am chosing from:

http://www.gpscity.ca/item-ram-mount-marin...l/ramb111-a.htm

http://www.gpscity.ca/item-ram-mount-recta...ll/ram111-b.htm

http://www.gpscity.ca/item-ram-mount-marin...ball/ram111.htm

Any local place selling RAM mounts with good prices (should I not find two used ones)?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Hey emil the ram mounts & all their products are just amazing,and for the graphs you are describing a 1inch ball mount will be perfect i have a 339lowrance/gps mounted and a seperate GPS mounted on a 1 inch ball for 2 years,and they work great,they have many choices,if you go to their website,you can see all that they have i think its 38 pages or different mounts,they also have rod holders,that will swivel to a million different positions,i am looking into getting a few of them !!! they grip & hold very strong,and they do NOT slip,and move around at all !!! i think its www.r a m products.com cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

They only have one 2" ball and it is simply too big/too expensive and over killed I think for my screens.

My issue is the 1" ball is cheaper...Cabelas sells it too and I've read great reviews from their customer who bought it....

1.5" would be more stable but it comes with a price - $25 more for two mounts delivered to my door.

When using the RAM web site calculator it automatically tells you to go with the 1.5" longer arm one....RAM-111U.

It might be too long for my windshield space though.

So I guess I have to go short arm....and remaining issue is 1" vs. 1.5" ball size...

fishindevil,

have you noticed any vibrations of your screen when using the 1" size?

I hate ordering the wrong one as exchanging it will cost me more (double shipping + restocking fees) than what I'll save by going 1" now.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

my balls are the 1.5"... (Please no jokes here fellas)

they are VERY stable... and I have not noticed any vibrations at all with them, they hold well and only move when loosened.

You will be happy with RAM mounts... they are awesome!

G

My setup is just like yours gerritt !!!! and they only suggest the 2 inch ball for big large 12 inch units or laptop computers,they make every mount for everything you can imagine !!!! my unit weighs about 5lbs,and it will stay in whatever position i put it in,period !!! weather the boat is in rough water or trailering down the hiway !!! like i said check their website,they will ship it right to you,bass pro carries a selection of ram mounts as well cheers

1 inch will be fine for the 520, you will need 1.5 for the 7 inch like X27 and the 2inch for the 10 inch models.....My rams work great, 45 Miles per hour in big chop will get them the move but at least they take some of the cusion ....staight gimble mounting puts all the shock from smashing waves diretly into the unit....ram mounts have shock absorbing properties

RR

My question is why the ram mount ? .. or is the answer too obvious - i.e. more flexibility in mounting, changing viewing angles etc ? ... or am I missing something ?

Rob,

less/smaller holes, more flexible screen positions and easy removal are some of the advantages of the RAM mounts I've read about. You sure can mount your new 525 on one of those :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

the ball size you need depends on the length of the arm or arm combinations you choose and the size and/or weight of the device you're mounting.

All i can suggest is that you spend a little more to get the aluminum components. Most RAM products (bases, arms, mounting plates) are available in plastic and aluminum. As far as I know, cradles for the small device are only available in plastic.

And whatever you choose, make it universal for everything you plan to mount this way. If you think you'll end up with heavier devices, go for a bigger balls, even on your small devices, this way you don't go through the hassle of changing mounts and using ball size adaptors later.