modified aluminum bass boats

aniceguy

I had a long conversation with a friend the other day, saw a lot of them at the boat show are these modified aluminum boats a viable alternative to the high hp glass bass boats, would they be safe in rough water, what sorts of speed etc anyone have 1 Interesting boat or are we talking a no waves small lake boat thats a modified duck boat

Im talking a boat like this

http://www.xpressboats.com/view/131

or this

http://www.g3boats.com/EagleSeries/190/

Luis...I know where you're coming from on this thread. Give it up please. This one's been stirred enough. I have to leave for a few hours. I'll check this thread out when I get back. Keep it civil, PLEASE!

I know that Brian Berriault from Backwater tackle runs an xpress 21 with a 225 or 250 on the back. He also has fiberglass procraft and he says he will put the xpress up against the procraft anyday. I asked about rough water and he said it handled better than I expected and was pleasantly surprised with the ride in the chop. IF you are really interested about finding out how they handle the waves gice him a call.

His phone number is (705) 527-7351. Hope that helps

pulled this off the site....it looks like a viable alternative

More speed with less horsepower unless you are coming out of something like an Allison or Bullet...higher profile hull with less draft makes it blow around in the wind a little more when you're on the trolling motor...a little more noise from water slapping the hull when you are in the rough stuff but still as good a ride or better than most of the glass boats...paint will scratch but easy to repair and hull is a lot easier to maintain than a glass boat...other than that not much difference that I can think of...they are good riding, driving and handling boats and you can get an Xpress with just about anything on it that you can get on a glass boat...

I looked into the G3 boats and the Triton tin bassboat a couple years ago. This is just my take on them. They are lighter than a comparable glass boat thus the speed is similar but the hull is not as effecient as glass, lighter can make for a slighter rougher ride in rough conditions but they can handle the big water, lighter is better for towing. Price was a lot cheaper than Glass. If your fishing those stump filled lakes or really shallow water the boat can take more abuse without worrying about damaging expensive to repair gel coat.Less storage area was the only real downside that I was able to uncover due to the construction of aluminum.

in looking at them closer it seems they are moving away from the typical jon boat and to a more traditional dead rise and mod v bottom. I gues with aluminum sooner or later someone is going to make the stamps to press out a traditional bass boat hull design, I cant see how a 20 footer will differ from a light hull like a bullet or allison in weight, but I could imagine a stringer connecting the transom to the bow for a honkin huge engine.. Saw on BBC that one was pushing 80 on the speedo

Some good merit too smallie on the thumps of stumps on it.....

Guest lundboy

Tracker did have a one piece aluminum smooth hull bass boat. Called the Avalanche. Really nice boat but I don't think they carry it this year.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

It's an all aluminum hull. and you can't tell it from glass just by looking at it.

Maybe you can source one still in stock at a dealer or used.

Niceguy some of the modified tins (express)have come a long way in hull design and incorporate a stepped pad design but realize they are still not able to build strakes,deadrises and pockets into them like glass and are not even close in terms of thier hydrodynamic properties when compared to glass.Ride wise you would see a noticable difference for these reasons as they can't cut water like a well designed glass hull.I do believe they would be compareable to poor riding glass such as procraft in the chop but still won't touch smooth glass like a Champ etc..

A number of my friends have had them, though not those brands, small water here in Ohio except for Lake Erie. Like 90 percent of the lakes are under 3000 acres, great boats for small water that`s not rough, and if your on a tight budget do your really need more?

What you do on the water is much more important than what your are doing it in as long as it`s safe.

One of my fishing partners ran an Xpress last season for tourneys with the new 250 Suzuki.

IMO, it ran like a dream. Extremely fast and rode well in big water. I was impressed and felt safe and comfortable.

....not much could keep up let alone pass him either. :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Paul