Laker Questions

Freshtrax

well i have bene reading on here for quite a while so i figured i would register this is my first post thanks for all the usefull info so far quys and girls,

I am 24 years old an avid bass fishermen from North Carolina and moved to barrie a year ago . i have bene trying to catch a lake trout every morning before work since the ice formed and haven caught anything but herring (like 10 of them all went back in the hole of cource) i am fishing near my house, about 150 yards from shore at jhonsons beach here in barrie (kempenfelt) now i am fishing with williams spoons, jigs, and plasticks on jigs right on the bottom and 10 feet up. in about 70 fow. now i guess i am just looking for some tips as i have never fished for this species before, let alone on this lake i have a snowmobile so i can travel. i just need to know the best baits/presentations, and if someone could email / PM me a better location to fish that would be much appreciated

Either BBP or Shanty bay or Hawkstone area (all fairly close to you).

Try 85-100ft of water. Use a spreader with minnows and a cheater hook about 2 ft up the line as well with a minnow on it in one hole and keep jigging with the williams or a bad boyz jig tipped with a micro tube in a second hole. Keep the spreader on the bottom or very close to bottom and use the jig at various depths. Hope that helps.

Edited by Cudz

Sometimes its just a matter of moving out 10 feet deeper .. or moving in 10 feet shallower ... Lakers move around and tend to 'pass by' once or twice a day in any given area as they forage for food .. so sometimes its just a matter of trying a different time of day.

I have always had the best luck a little later in the morning than you might think ... like 8:30 to 9:30 or even 10

and again in the early afternoon ... I tend to try two different approaches at once .... one live/dead bait right on or near the bottom and another live or jig higher up in the water column ...

Because the lakers are constantly moving you can never be sure where or when you are going to get a hit ... I have noticed though, that action always seems to be better when other things are 'happening' .. like switching baits, like bringing up to check baits ... or dropping down after checking baits ... so dont just stick with one thing (unless its working) ... and most important ... enjoy !

If you don't have a sonar or at least a flasher that would be a step in the right direction.

On many occasions I have witnessed fish shown on sonar come in to look at your bait but they won't hit it. By using the sonar you can see what they are interested in...sometimes jigging will turn them away, other times a slow lift will trigger them, or sometimes they want it just hanging motionless...a sonar will clue you into what they want quickly...not to mention you will know if there are fish under you or not!

If you have the mobility of a snomobile and you aren't marking or catching fish within 30 mins of trying a spot, then move!

My problem is that I am always on foot and it's a loooong walk out to catch those fish on Simcoe and generally once you are setup you're not going to move too much...it's not exactly pleasant to keep moving around on foot! hehe

Keep at it, you're fortunate to be able to have easy access and be able to get out as frequently as you can.

Tony

thanks guys i am going out tomorow morning, i am gonna try a new spot, i have a fish finder i just got to go down to the storage unit and pull the transducer out of the boat , that should help allot. i am gonna try one of the new spots i was pm'd, thanks so much for the advice i will keep you informed on how it goes.