Ahmic Lake

tizfun

Hey all, I've just been invited to spend the weekend doing a little ice fishing on Ahmic Lake.. I know there are Pike and Walleye in there and I've heard of them being caught before.. Is there anything I can do or anywhere I should be to make myself look better than the regulars that are heading up.. Just some tips on what to use and a hint on what to look for in structure...

Thanks, I'll report when I get back...

Tiz

Edited by tizfun

it's even biggger when you consider it's connected to cecebe.

can't help with fishing tips, last time I was on the lake was some 20 years ago and in the summer. did ok backtrolling for walleye though!

Hey I can see my dock in the last pic. ha,ha. middle of the bay upper left. I see a lot of huts out around the middle of the lake near the islands. If you are coming from Hwy 11 along 520 you will see the huts on your left just past the lumber mill. There is a landing there where you can park. Close nough to walk out if you like. Not familier with Ahmic though. Hope catch some fish.

i fish ahmic a few times a year, its a beautiful body of water. Its tough fishing sometimes thoguh in the summer. There is rainbow smelt in the lake so you have to fish deep to get walleye in the summer.

The first thing i would do is go to magnetawan bait and tackle and get your bait, ask for some tips while you are paying for them and im sure they will point you in the right direction. failing that find the rainbow smelt and you will find the walleye. In the summer since smelt are light sensitive they are deep, im not sure if that changes because of the ice or not.

Hope you do well on ahmic and look forward to the report!

Cheers!

Stayed at a cottage resort there during the deer hunt. Crappies walleye and pike.

We were in the top bay to the left.

Very nice photo Wayne.

Never knew t was that big of a lake.

The front edge of that pic is ahmic harbour i believe. if you follow the lake on the right it connects to beaver and crawford lakes. if you keep going to where the end of the pic where it looks like a river that is actually a channel into another basin of ahmic. then it vers to the left to the mag river into town where it connects into cecebe. you can boat from ahmic harbour to burks falls if you wanted to. there is thousands of areas to fish on that waterway. I love ahmic lake but to really master it you would need a good full summer to figure out fish patterns consistantly

cheers!