SNOWMOBILE FATALITY

Clampet

SNOWMOBILE FATALITY IN THE TOWN OF GEORGINA

The York Regional Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is investigating a fatal snowmobile collision

that claimed the life of an Innisfil man on Lake Simcoe in the Town of Georgina.

On Saturday January 17, 2009, at approximately 6:10 pm, a 1997 Ski Doo Mach Z 800, driven by a

42-year-old man was travelling southbound on Lake Simcoe on Cooks Bay near the east shore. The

snowmobile suddenly struck a wooden ice-fishing hut, which was partially submerged and frozen in

the lake. The 42-year-old operator of the snowmobile was thrown from the machine and suffered

massive injuries. He was transported to hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.

This incident remains under investigation by the York Regional Police Collision Reconstruction Unit.

Despite this tragic event, York Regional Police continues to remind all outdoor winter enthusiasts who

enjoy any winter activity to follow these safety tips to keep you and your family safe.

• Any individual who decides to go out onto a frozen body of water must make a personal

decision to do so, realizing that there is a degree of risk associated with this choice

• Know the weather conditions and dress appropriately

• Tell someone your planned route and carry a cellular phone for emergencies

• If there is limited or no visibility, cancel your activity until such time it can be done safely

• If you are operating on unfamiliar trails or frozen bodies of water, always operate your machine

in a safe a well controlled manner and be prepared for the unexpected, including open water

• Always been mindful of your speed

Investigators are seeking witnesses to this collision. Anyone with information is asked to contact the

Collision Reconstruction Unit at 1-888-876-5423, ext. 7704, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or

leave an anonymous tip online at www.1800222tips.com.

Prepared by: Constable Mike Buchanan

09-14859

January 19, 2009

YORK REGIONAL POLICE

Corporate Communications

17250 Yonge Street

Newmarket, Ontario, L3Y 4W5

Public Affairs

1-866-876-5423

Ext. 7099 or 7977

Email: [email protected]

[email protected]

That's awful...I wonder if there is any liability to the person who's hut it was...being that it was partially submerged I wonder if that is considered a hazard they should have dealt with? Even though it happens every year, it's still terrible to read about.

to bad, my condolences to the family, as much fun as snowmobiling is it's way to easy to outrun you headlights at night on a lake, I would say it gets tough to stop quickly at anyspeed over 80km/h for object on the lake.

there is also body armour called tek-vest I would recommend to anyone using sleds and atvs

to bad, my condolences to the family, as much fun as snowmobiling is it's way to easy to outrun you headlights at night on a lake, I would say it gets tough to stop quickly at anyspeed over 80km/h for object on the lake.

there is also body armour called tek-vest I would recommend to anyone using sleds and atvs

i wear a tek-vest, it was $230 new, you'd think it would be uncomfortable? but no, you cant even notice it and just adds to your warmth.

As stated that huts been there ( if its the one I'm thinkin of) for several years . Sitting on 2-3 feet of wAter so I guess its not considered a hazard to navigation .

Sorry to hear about the accident , but speed and bad visibility is a bad combination.

TB