Temagami on foot....

johnnyb

Hey all -- just cleared the calendar to hit Temagami on Feb. 15th for lake trout opener. With no sled or quad, the plan is to drive out on one of the ice roads in the Jeep, park, and walk. Anybody care to chime in on where we might go? I'm torn between the ice road out of town, which doesn't go too far, but provides access to the 40 FOW mark....and heading down the Main Access road to the road from the boat launch. I have no idea what the depths are like out there...so I would kind of be going in blind. Also, if anyone knows of any cheap accomodations in the area, that would be great...if we can stay the night, it would be better than driving back in the same day.

Any and all input is appreciated -- thanks :D

Didn't we go through all this last year John??? LMAO !

Too bad opener is Sunday or we'd be up there.

Cheapest accoms are probably back at the Rock Pine in Marten River. I think they rent their units in the winter... can only call and check.

Linda's Wigwams on Bear Island... I think she's $125 a night. Linda and George Mathias

$125 a night is the common theme up there.... maybe I should open all season ! lol

Hey Wayne-- I figured you'd post a reply to this one. :) Since the 16th is family day, it gives us enough justification to head up there early Sunday morning, and not be too pressured to get back to the real world on Monday.

If you end up going, definitely let us know -- we'll be there for sure...Jessy is claiming it as her Valentine's gift...so I can't back out now :lol:

We will either stay up there, or stay in North Bay and hit Nipissing on the morning of the 16th. Any idea what the depths are like between the main lake launch and Bear Island? I would think any of the points out there would be good places to start...

Tucking the boat away on Monday I found that I still had the lake charts in my lund glove box .... so I'll have a look at those a bit later for you.

The ice road from town is being maintained to my dock and no further, unless someone else decides to take it from there. 42 FOW right off my airplane dock (remember where that hut was?). That whole bay is a 40' deep bathtub... 52' deep hole mid channel straight off Temagami Shores docks.

The way the temps are and minimum snow you should be able to drive where ever you want.. avoiding necked areas of current of course.

It's a bit more of a drive but you can stay in North bay for around $50 a night. Takes a little more than 1 hr to hit the end of the access road from north bay. I think one of the better motels at the top of the hill on #11 is called Beaumark. It's the cleaner one of the 2. Driving to the end of the access road (18 km) will be your best bet as you can continue right on and out to the lake. One note though a lot of the locals don't care for parking on the ice road. If you walk out follow the ice road to the right. There's a few spots you can set up but don't fish around the groups of huts already set up.

Get a map of the lake and the best spot would be the open expanse behind (north) of Ketchuneny, again don't crowd his huts just north of his island. You might want to poke around out there but anything in the 90-100 FOW will produce some roaming trout and whitefish. From the ice road no more than a 15 minute walk will get you in a spot. Also if you travel the ice road around the point toward Bear island either side of the road will put you in 60-80 FOW and there's trout and whitefish to be had in through there

If you call up to Loon lodge you might be able to rent huts of him or another place Adanac Tackle for the day. The going rate for accomodations and a hut for the day on the hub is around $200 per guy per day.

linda wigwam is booked that weekened..i usually stay with her but she was booked ... i would fish cumming from access road take the ice road to bear island or past into the deeper water look for shoals..and if you want i will be up there from feb 12th to 17th if you want i can look you up... or you look me up..no not up my skirt please :rolleyes:

c mon wayne you can do it... what are you crazy..its temagami opener...no really i never fish the opener this will be my first year actually...i like to fish last week in feb or first week in march thats my favorite time..but with work i had no choice this year....luckly friend of mine ..monty said i could stay at his place this year or i would have had a hard time finding a place to stay....and guess what he lives on bear island... i find that a good spot to start from.. lots of choices for fish and some very close ones with nice fish...

ketchunany only has two huts out this year, and they are extremely close to the backside of the lodge in 20 feet of water.. if you want to find a great laker and whitey spot you can go out the north side of ketchunany and walk 200 feet off the bear island ice road and drill anywhere in that area. We use to put our bungalows there on the 90 foot bathtub, and lots of our guys and myself had great luck there. I fished that are on saterday and didn't have much luck, but the fishing was slow that day anyways. Another great spot to try for monster lakers is off the bear island road just past the light house. The ice road makes the big dog leg left and continues down to bear island, if you drive 500 feet or so past the light tower and walk 200 feet off the left side of the road you are going to find water from 100 - 230 feet. If you go the opposite way on the ice road towards the southern arms, you will hit the first group of bungalows out on the left hand side sitting near a green bouy. These bungalows are owned and rented out by john harding. He's a complete moron so feel free to snuggle up beside his bungalows to catch some nice walleye just befor the sun goes down.. dont feel to bad about it, he did it to me and my clients many many many times.

anyways, those are a couple of my spots to hook into some nice fish on lake temagami all within walking distance of the ice road. The ice is about 18 - 22 inches thick so your going to want a solid power auger. Hope you hit some of these spots and let me know how you made out.

mike